Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colostrum...maybe tmi

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 12 Replies
So I was leaking a bit at night about 2 months ago it kinda just stopped. Curious if I still could get some out, I squeezed my breast and got some out but now its creamy like. Is this normal? I'm 37 weeks now but I thought it stayed clear and thin until after birth...
Thanks in advance!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM
It's totally normal. It's not milk, it's colostrum. It didn't change, you just got more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Does it always change? I mean you can actually see the white stuff and the clear stuff. The white stuff is like swirled inside the clear. In everything I've read I've never seen anything about this.

I was just wondering if it starts happening when you get closer, it had me a little freaked that I might go into labor last night haha. Idk - I'm still early but that's just from what they guessed by measuring baby during an u/s. I don't know my last period or anything so they did a bunch of measurments and just averaged out the age.

Quoting polkaspots:

It's totally normal. It's not milk, it's colostrum. It didn't change, you just got more.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM

That's normal. Mine looks just like that. Mine also turns yellow and super thick. Or white and super thick. It varies. 
Ultrasounds can be up to 2 wks off and 2 lbs off in either direction, the later the ultrasound, the more room for error it has. I wouldn't count on that for dating unless you got it before 8 wks. Be careful with ultrasounds and doppler use, they do have risks. Your body will go into labor when your baby is ready. No need to worry about that! :)  

Quoting Momma2013:

Does it always change? I mean you can actually see the white stuff and the clear stuff. The white stuff is like swirled inside the clear. In everything I've read I've never seen anything about this.

I was just wondering if it starts happening when you get closer, it had me a little freaked that I might go into labor last night haha. Idk - I'm still early but that's just from what they guessed by measuring baby during an u/s. I don't know my last period or anything so they did a bunch of measurments and just averaged out the age.

Quoting polkaspots:

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008) & Caidence(2010). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe I was about 21-23 weeks when we had the ultrasound. I know that they can be off so I'm not too worried either way - He SHOULD be here before Valentines Day and unless he stops moving or his bp drops real low I'm not going to be induced. I will of course check with people on here and do some research if something strange was to come up :)

I've measured exactly on target from the guessed due date so I assume it's pretty accurate but I'm open to baby coming on his own time. I was 2 1/2 weeks late myself and dh was 1 week early. I'm not going to hold baby to some doctors date. :) I LOVE that I joined this group and have learned SO MUCH! :)

Quoting MaryJarrett:

That's normal. Mine looks just like that. Mine also turns yellow and super thick. Or white and super thick. It varies. 
Ultrasounds can be up to 2 wks off and 2 lbs off in either direction, the later the ultrasound, the more room for error it has. I wouldn't count on that for dating unless you got it before 8 wks. Be careful with ultrasounds and doppler use, they do have risks. Your body will go into labor when your baby is ready. No need to worry about that! :)  

Quoting Momma2013:

Quoting polkaspots:

vanityrayne
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I had that when I was 4 months along w my second.
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Normal :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah I leaked HUGE amounts with my oldest and around 37 weeks its stopped being thin..who knows why

OMGLasersPOWPOW
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Totally normal. Nipple discharge will be yellow, white, clear or a mixture. :-)
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Thanks mommas! :)

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM
If you were to collect some it a cup or a small bowl you would be able to see. That's exactly what it looks like.

Quoting Momma2013:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)