Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Talking to boys about cleaning 'down there'

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:36 PM
  • 2 Replies

People have recommended that I post this here, so here it is...

I have an 8 year old boy who isn't circumcised. I left his foreskin alone when he was growing up, and I've never seen him pull it back himself.

I have been meaning to have a discussion with him about cleaning his penis, but I have been putting it off because it's a bit awkward. embarrassedI am separated from his father, who is circumcised in any event. I know it's only going to get more difficult as he gets older.

I would love to know how other mothers have dealt with this issue. Should I be asking him to show me if he can pull it back (or if not, how far it will comfortably go)? From what I've read he is probably retractable, but may not be at his age.

One other thing I have never been sure about is whether boys should be taught to retact when peeing. I have read conflicting things about this.

Any help would be much appreciated!

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:50 AM
I dont know technical info because I don't have any boys, so here's a bump for that.

But at this age I don't think there's a need to feel awkward, but the longer you wait the more awkward it will get. Does his father have contact with him? Or does he have a strong father figure at all? Circ'ed or not, it'd be easier for a male to have this conversation if possible.

GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AtiFreeFalls
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:37 AM
My mom just told my brother "some day the skin on the tip of your penis will pull back and you will be able to see the parts underneath. When that happens you just gently pull it back and wash it when you are washing in the bath or shower."

She says he came and told her soon after that it happened lol.

Its really not a big deal, just like teaching a girl to wash. They are becoming more independent at that age and all kids need to be taught hygiene.

Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)