Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'm not really sure where I want to put this, so I figured I'd do it here first and then maybe ask in the Babies group to see what they thought.

We live in an apartment building with really crappy windows that leak and are growing mold. My DF has already scrubbed them with bleach water once, and the maintenence won't do anything about either the windows or the mold. We unfortunately don't have the money to move anywhere else

My question is: how bad is it for my two-month-old to be living in this environment? I keep forgetting to ask her Ped. While we don't have the money to move, I can, if the need arises (and have already threatened to because of the cold), go live with my Dad, but he's five hours away and I don't really want to take her that far from her doctor, nor do I think I could manage without my DF, as he'd have to stay here to work. We mght be able to go stay at DF's dad's place, but all our stuff is in this apartment, and his dad's place doesn't have anything for us to sleep on, whereas my dad's place has an extra bed for DD and me.

I don't know what to do anymore. I also suspect that I'm allergic to mold, as I've had trouble in the past around it and am, at the moment, dealing with headaches and a runny nose, but right now, that could be from anything.

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Replies (11-16):
MamaPrime
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM

We had a similar situation when I was pregnant. Mold is not good for anyone. Look up your local renter's rights and get in contact with them for guidance over what you can demand. In chicago if there is something leaking and the landlord is notified via certified mail he has a limited time to fix it. Depending on the circumstances the landlord is responsible for paying for your hotel while he repairs the leak and takes care of the mold problem. As for now get yourself some tea tree oil and slather it along with windows and even use it in a diffuser. Tea tree oil kills mold, fungus and is antimicrobial. 

laurade024
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM
It's close to what it is in my area in pa yoo

Quoting MamaPrime:

We had a similar situation when I was pregnant. Mold is not good for anyone. Look up your local renter's rights and get in contact with them for guidance over what you can demand. In chicago if there is something leaking and the landlord is notified via certified mail he has a limited time to fix it. Depending on the circumstances the landlord is responsible for paying for your hotel while he repairs the leak and takes care of the mold problem. As for now get yourself some tea tree oil and slather it along with windows and even use it in a diffuser. Tea tree oil kills mold, fungus and is antimicrobial. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM

They need to be reported!

ballerina.2006
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Look up the landlord/tenant act for your state. I believe you can have the apt turned in for mold even if your lease states "we are not responsible for mold". They may be obligated by the state health department to take care of it.

Definitly look up the landlord/tenant act. Thats what my dad had me do when I was deal with a supee crappy apt manager then a new owner. We moved before contacting the state but on hindsight I should've called anyways since I know the mold was in the walls coming outwards (ceiling in bathroom. We were bottom floor and the ceiling was the floor to the upstairs bath).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDFanatik
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM

If you get some silicone form the hardware store you can seal off the windows to prevent leaks- it's cheap and easy to do.  I think there is also some other stuff you can use, but I can't recall the name- it's like foam. 

Try to find a way to prevent the leaks that are causing the mold if you can't get out of there or have maintenence fix it.  Mold is no bueno and can cause you to be VERY sick.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:52 AM
I would contact someone about your landlord.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN