Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

nursing 17 month old and 38 wks pg

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 6 Replies

So I think my 17 month old is sick, and therefore she has been nursing and nursing. She has been having nasty diapers and grumpy / clingy  slightly elevated temp.

i assume my body is producing more colostrum, could that be causing her diapers? Is she nursing more because she isn't getting the same kind of milk? 

How do i deal with a sick toddler and a newborn, making sure they both get what they need?

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11 Baby~ EDA 1/27/13

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Nurse, nurse, nurse! I nursed a 19 month old and newborn. One side produced more so I nursed my toddler on that side and my newborn on the other (newborn would spit up from higher producing side). You just figure it out! I always block nursed so it was no big deal for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Her diaper content change can definitely be caused by the milk change. 

She's likely nursing more because she doesn't feel well. 

You go with the flow. Nurse, nurse, nurse. My DDs are 19 months apart and tandemed for 21-22 months before my oldest weaned at 3yrs, 5 months. I nursed my toddler first because I have an oversupply and an over active letdown that overwhelmed my newborn. You do what works for you guys. :) 

larissalarie
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM
My first though before getting through the first paragraph was that the colostrum was probably contributing to the gross diapers. And if you'd been "dry" before and your colostrum just came in, that's maybe went she's so excited to nurse again all of the sudden.

Just nurse both kiddos on demand. Your body will meet both of their needs precisely!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Chase has definitely wanted to nurse more since my colostrum came back in because my milk dried up for a couple months!!

Btw-I'm 31 weeks, nursing a 29 month old.

I hope your little one feels better soon!!

Quoting larissalarie:

My first though before getting through the first paragraph was that the colostrum was probably contributing to the gross diapers. And if you'd been "dry" before and your colostrum just came in, that's maybe went she's so excited to nurse again all of the sudden.

Just nurse both kiddos on demand. Your body will meet both of their needs precisely!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I'm 33 weeks and BFing my toddler - his diapers have been awful lately. I just read in LLL's tandem nursing book that it's normal because of the laxative properties of colostrum (intended to help pass meconium in the newborn). My DS has been nursing more since the colostrum came in too.

VintageWife
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I nursed my 3 yr old (at the time) when I was preg with his sister. I don't remember if there was diaper changes though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN