Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How much is or was your 4 month old eating??

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:05 AM
  • 20 Replies

The baby I baby sit is chunky as can be she takes 6 ounces every 3 hours but her mom often gives her 6 every 2 hours....she doesnt even have to cry for it im jsut supposed to stick to that schedule even though half the time shes napping during that time and would go a 4 or 4 and half hour stretch....its ridiculous and last night she says i think im going to up her formula!!!! WHAT!!!!

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:17 AM
I don't ff and bf babys never get more then 3oz every 2-3hrs so I'm not sure. But that does sound like a lot of milk.
I would address your concerns with mom. Ask her if she wants you waking her to feed her or if you can just follow her cues.
Im a big believer that child care providers should do what the parent requests (without actually abusing/harming). If it's not something your comfortable with I wouldn't babysit
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:24 AM

i have asked and she says not to let her sleep past the time over a half hour so ill let her sleep that long but then still have to wake her up which in m opinion is crazy....i mean shes not hurting to miss a few ounces and shes drinking way more than is reccommended for her age already....im fine with where it is now becuse shes not puking it up but i refuse to up it ....i bf too so i never knew what my dd was getting but im sure it wasnt that much lol (i would assume)....oh and i forgot to add her reasoning for wanting to up her formula is because shes not sleeping through the night.....well DUH they just moved her from her bassinet to her crib this week....its gonna take a little adjusting

Quoting melindabelcher:

I don't ff and bf babys never get more then 3oz every 2-3hrs so I'm not sure. But that does sound like a lot of milk.
I would address your concerns with mom. Ask her if she wants you waking her to feed her or if you can just follow her cues.
Im a big believer that child care providers should do what the parent requests (without actually abusing/harming). If it's not something your comfortable with I wouldn't babysit

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Poor babes :(
I seriously couldnt babysit.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

i have asked and she says not to let her sleep past the time over a half hour so ill let her sleep that long but then still have to wake her up which in m opinion is crazy....i mean shes not hurting to miss a few ounces and shes drinking way more than is reccommended for her age already....im fine with where it is now becuse shes not puking it up but i refuse to up it ....i bf too so i never knew what my dd was getting but im sure it wasnt that much lol (i would assume)....oh and i forgot to add her reasoning for wanting to up her formula is because shes not sleeping through the night.....well DUH they just moved her from her bassinet to her crib this week....its gonna take a little adjusting

Quoting melindabelcher:

JocelynsMama1
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:51 AM

I have a hard time doing things i disagree with but i disagree with most parents lol so i have to find the happy medium medicine is my big absolutely not thing lol ill flat out tell them no if i disagree with what they are giving them (unless its perscription)

Quoting melindabelcher:

Poor babes :(
I seriously couldnt babysit.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM
That poor baby. :(
imtheonlysane1
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I find no reason to feed a child that isn't showing signs of being hungry nor do I wake a sleeping child unless I really have to. I FF and I can tell you that is to much formula. 6 oz every 4-5 hours would be better unless baby is actually hungry before then. Upping the formula is also not going to make baby sleep through the night if they just switched her to a crib.

larissalarie
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Mine were bf, so I don't know. When I worked they got usually two 3-4 ounce bottles that almost never got finished.

The ff kids I've babysat have tended to take 2 bottles in a workday as well, about 6-8 ounces at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Does the side of the can have a chart for how much you should be feeding the baby? It seems like way to much.

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I've always fed from the breast so I don't know for sure.

But that seems like a lot to me. I'd talk with the mom about it.

Eliots_momma
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Wow! I bet the poor baby's tummy hurts. That doesn't sound right at all. I would be worried that mom would start putting cereal in her bottles soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)