Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Flouride Toothpaste? ETA a question

Posted by   + Show Post

with a 2 year old that doesnt spit when brushing her teeth??? If you were watching her would -you allow her to brush her teeth with it?

ETA: Can anyone explain to me the dangers of regular tooth paste and the benefits of homemade and then some recipies... I currently use flouride toothpaste myself and my daughter (almost 4) uses the kids flouride toothpaste....i didnt start her on it untill she could spit when brushing her teeth (and had been for a while). Before that she used the infant/toddler flouride free one.

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Replies (11-19):
gamelas
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM

we don't use any floride, so no

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

We do not use floride at all.  It is toxic even in small amounts. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Personally, no... but we don't do fluoride toothpaste or other products for anyone in the family.

NDFanatik
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Or....  no flouride toothpaste at all :D

My kids use Spry- it has xylitol to fight cavities instead of flouride. 

I'm currently using a non-flouride toothpaste- as soon as it's out I'll be using homemade toothpaste 100%. 

Amy Lynn, Loving wife, Mom to Christopher, Katherine, & Matthew, Natural Childbirth/VBAC & breastfeeding supporter & advocate.

Looking for natural birth support?  Check us out 

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Nope, no fluoride. We don't really use toothpaste. We brush with plain water. We've only been doing that a few weeks since I keep forgetting to make more toothpaste. When I do it's coconut oil and baking soda. I hope I'll get some xylitol and some peppermint EO to add to it eventually. We brush twice a day, away from meals, and floss once a day. 

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Another 'natural homemade with no fluoride safe beneficial to swallow' reply.. :o)  

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Ama2Gunner
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM

We don't use flouride or get the treatments from the dentist. There is enough (too much?) flouride in our water.

vsop690
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

We make our own toothpaste as well. Here is a short video on the negatives of commercial toothpaste. I have also reas in previous articles about an ingredient in toothpaste that is the same as frog repellent. I cannot seem  to find the article now, but this viseo should help answer your immediate question. As far as Im concerned, anything I can make on my own thats easy and convenient and safe for my family, why take the chance of the preservatives and chemicals in products store bought? Its the same as when you choose processed food, if you cant pronounce the ingredients, what the heck are we doing putting it in our body, ijs. :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apL6b8vnLF0

Ktstewart1
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM
We don't use fluoride I have two ds 4 & 2 and their dentist even said no fluoride until they are 5 if I even choose to use it at all!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN