Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Cosleeping deaths

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 36 Replies

A friend posted on FB about another cosleeping death with a high, drunk adult in the bed. I replied with, "That's murder, not cosleeping."

Thoughts?

BTW, she's for cosleeping so she didn't mean it in an anti kind of way.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Sounds right to me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
imtheonlysane1
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree. You should not be drunk or high with your children anyway let alone in the same bed with them. That is not SIDS that is murder.

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

100% agree

VintageWife
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I know, right? When you get in a bed with a baby knowing you are under the influence, I think you should be charged with murder if/when you kill them. Common sense says that you aren't even aware of your surroundings so of course you can't be aware of an infant. 

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Sounds right to me.

VintageWife
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Exactly! I think the general rule should be that if you have drugs and alcohol (more than a couple cans of beer) in the house, then you should not cosleep. 

Quoting imtheonlysane1:

I agree. You should not be drunk or high with your children anyway let alone in the same bed with them. That is not SIDS that is murder.

MamaPrime
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM
3 moms liked this

If you can't drive responsibly then you can't co-sleep responsibly. That has always been our policy. It's not like we are "big partiers" by any means, but my DF has work functions that generally happen at bars, breweries or wineries. So...he drinks sometimes. I always check his state and ask how much he has had to drink before coming to bed. If he smells at all- the couch. If he looks haggard- the couch. If he says he has had more than 3 drinks- the couch. 

VintageWife
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Those are great rules! I'm glad that you take it seriously and he does as well. 

Quoting MamaPrime:

If you can't drive responsibly then you can't co-sleep responsibly. That has always been our policy. It's not like we are "big partiers" by any means, but my DF has work functions that generally happen at bars, breweries or wineries. So...he drinks sometimes. I always check his state and ask how much he has had to drink before coming to bed. If he smells at all- the couch. If he looks haggard- the couch. If he says he has had more than 3 drinks- the couch. 

MamaPrime
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I just love that he doesn't mind when I boot him to the couch. It really isn't all that often maybe one or twice a month. But he loves co-sleeping and loves that I am so dedicated about it. It's just nice that he is that supportive over it. 

Quoting VintageWife:

Those are great rules! I'm glad that you take it seriously and he does as well. 

Quoting MamaPrime:

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM

*I* probably wouldn't have responded that way.

I would call it irresponsible, but not murder since it wasn't a premeditated, intentional death.

Still very sad though :(

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE that!

I have a very close minded coworker who brought up cosleeping with me and said I hope you're not planning to do that. It kills the baby. UM NO MORON! Cosleeping doesn't kill, idiot parents who are irresponsible do! I can't STAND people thinking they know everything.

People do it all over the world all the time without any problems. It's safer than driving your car with baby in it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)