Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

A friend posted on FB about another cosleeping death with a high, drunk adult in the bed. I replied with, "That's murder, not cosleeping."

Thoughts?

BTW, she's for cosleeping so she didn't mean it in an anti kind of way.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
rachelrothchild
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

It's at least neglectful.

louzannalady
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM

While, I agree on some level (manslaughter or negligent homicide would be a ept term for it, BTW), it is important to, from a legal standpoint to not attach such labels to bed sharing. It is a slippery slope to trying such a case, because really, even with safe bed sharing, SIDS does still happen. Suffocation can still happen. It is MUCH, MUCH more common to happen in a crib, than while bed sharing (I am a huge Dr. James McKenna fan and know my stuff on this topic and we have a family bed in our house!), but from a legal stand point, if you prosecute for one, you may end up having to prosecute for all bed sharing deaths- high or not. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM
I do think thats neglect.
TippyD
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I have yet to see a co-sleeping death that wasn't a case of drugs/alcohol/,edication... *rolls eyes*

mmccrea
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Yes, you are right.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM
I would personally call it irresponsible but it's definitely sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Right I totally agree

Quoting louzannalady:

While, I agree on some level (manslaughter or negligent homicide would be a ept term for it, BTW), it is important to, from a legal standpoint to not attach such labels to bed sharing. It is a slippery slope to trying such a case, because really, even with safe bed sharing, SIDS does still happen. Suffocation can still happen. It is MUCH, MUCH more common to happen in a crib, than while bed sharing (I am a huge Dr. James McKenna fan and know my stuff on this topic and we have a family bed in our house!), but from a legal stand point, if you prosecute for one, you may end up having to prosecute for all bed sharing deaths- high or not. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I don't disagree. It's definitely negligent and irresponsible.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corbysmom531
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Does anyone have any REAL stats on co-sleeping deaths/injuries?  I coslept with my son out of necessity, but I was always really worried about it.  That was five years ago, and I still haven't been able to find stats for it that don't include SIDS or things like this.  Is that because there aren't any!?  lol 

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Agree with you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN