Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

A friend posted on FB about another cosleeping death with a high, drunk adult in the bed. I replied with, "That's murder, not cosleeping."

Thoughts?

BTW, she's for cosleeping so she didn't mean it in an anti kind of way.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (21-30):
madisonsmom2005
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM

One of our local news channels here did a special on co-sleeping deaths in our state. Statistics showed that all of the co-sleeping deaths had one common factor. It wasn't drugs, it wasn't alcohol, and it had nothing to do with economic status. All the babies that had died from co-sleeping deaths were bottle fed babies. The reason being that the mothers weren't as aware of their child as a breast feeding mother was. I was shocked when I heard that because I would have guess alcohol or drugs right away. The person they had on there said all though drugs and alcohol were a factor is some of the deaths, the one thing in common was the bottle feeding. All though I do not personally practice co-sleeping, I feel it is a family choice and an educated one at that. This particular case seems like neglect to me.

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                                                                                              I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!

Pregnancy%20ticker
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I have, unfortunately :( Homebirthed, breastfed, intact, un-vaxed baby - everything was done "right" and he died of SIDS at 8 days old. Very, very unusual though obviously.

Quoting TippyD:

I have yet to see a co-sleeping death that wasn't a case of drugs/alcohol/,edication... *rolls eyes*

Cynthje
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Its very unusual to have SIDS cases with cosleepeing , it does happen. Most so called co sleeping deaths have to do with irresponsible parents, you should not be cosleeping while under the influence. 

Keona722
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Involuntary manslaughter

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

*I* probably wouldn't have responded that way.

I would call it irresponsible, but not murder since it wasn't a premeditated, intentional death.

Still very sad though :(

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corbysmom531
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Wow!  I didn't even think about that.  The only reason I coslept with my son was because he was an all night nurser.  He seemed to need that to fall back to sleep. 

I think co sleeping saved his life a few times though.  I can remember three specific incidences where he stopped breathing, I woke up, breathed in his face, and he took a big gasp for air.  Later on I found out that cosleeping usually stops true SIDS because the moms will be breathing near the babies face, and it triggers a reflex for them to keep breathing.

Quoting madisonsmom2005:

One of our local news channels here did a special on co-sleeping deaths in our state. Statistics showed that all of the co-sleeping deaths had one common factor. It wasn't drugs, it wasn't alcohol, and it had nothing to do with economic status. All the babies that had died from co-sleeping deaths were bottle fed babies. The reason being that the mothers weren't as aware of their child as a breast feeding mother was. I was shocked when I heard that because I would have guess alcohol or drugs right away. The person they had on there said all though drugs and alcohol were a factor is some of the deaths, the one thing in common was the bottle feeding. All though I do not personally practice co-sleeping, I feel it is a family choice and an educated one at that. This particular case seems like neglect to me.

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM

About 65 deaths every year from bed sharing. A majority are formula fed or are not sleeping in a bed (they are on a chair or on a couch). Over 3,000 (that is a more recent number since the Back to Sleep Campaign), die each year alone in their crib. The second link is from Dr. James McKenna, an anthropologist from Notre Dame. The third link is just an interesting study. The fourth link is the break down on what lead to the death of the child with a shared sleeping surface (even bed sharing irresponsibility has less deaths than crib sleeping!). 

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/sids-latest-research-how-sleeping-your-baby-safe

http://www.naturalchild.org/james_mckenna/cosleeping.pdf

http://www.pediatricsdigest.mobi/content/100/5/841.full

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml99/99175.html

Quoting corbysmom531:

Does anyone have any REAL stats on co-sleeping deaths/injuries?  I coslept with my son out of necessity, but I was always really worried about it.  That was five years ago, and I still haven't been able to find stats for it that don't include SIDS or things like this.  Is that because there aren't any!?  lol 

CharMom23
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM
I wouldn't call that a co sleeping death, I would call it an alcohol and drug related death.
PEEK05
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM

That has nothing to do with co-sleeping and everything to do with idiots.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I hate people that blame co sleeping when it wasn't a safe situation. It's like blaming the car when there is a drunk driving accident. 

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM
I agree with you.
Soooooo tragic :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)