Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The V word

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

I had a prenatal appointment yesterday. This is the women's health clinic on base, I had a FANTASTIC experience there with my last baby (now 1), but everyone I know there, including the super awesome OB has moved, as is life with the military. I won't get into the details of my last appointment, but suffice to say the NP I saw was a nitwit. So, I had an appointment with a midwife yesterday. She was fine, really nice and competent. Great. 

However, she was going over my bloodwork and said I do not have immunities to Rubella and that they recommend I get an MMR booster after delivery. We have not vaccinated our youngest and have stopped vaccinating the older kids. I thought to myself, "yeah, I'm not getting that shot". But I let it go because we move in a couple of months so I will be delivering in an entirely different part of the country.

When we left the appointment, my husband asked how I thought the appointment went. I told him I thought it went fine. I liked the midwife well enough and she at least seemed to know what she was doing. She listened to me and didn't blow me off or talk to me like I was a 3 year old. He said, "Good. I thought for a minute we were going to have a problem in there". I asked if he meant when she brought up the shot. He said, "Yes. All I could thinks was... 'Sweet Jesus, you said the V word'. I just prayed you would remember your delivery was happening elsewhere and it wouldn't be an issue". I laughed and said, "Contrary to what may be popular belief I do actually know when to pick my battles". 

I just thought "the V word" was so funny. LOL.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM

:D

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Lol! They actually did a titer test on you?! Wow! That is really rare!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM
That is so funny!!
JMmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I know! Isn't that bizarre? This is my 5th baby (6th pregnancy) and the first time I've had that done. When I went for my prenatal orientation, there was another mom there that had a whole bunch of questions about rubella and the vaccine for some reason and they said they w would run a titer on her. I wonder if they just went ahead and did them for everyone.

Quoting louzannalady:

Lol! They actually did a titer test on you?! Wow! That is really rare!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pipers_mom
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM
I didn't think they ran titers unless there was a reason lol. My MW has never even asked if I'm up to date on vaccines...maybe it's because I let her know from the get-go that we don't do vaccines in our family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM
This is the first time in 6 pregnancies I have ever had it done. The only reason I can think of is that they ran them on everyone at the orientation instead if just the one mom asking about it. I was so surprised by it I didn't even think to ask why they ran it.

ETA- she didn't ask about any other vaccines or illnesses (well, except the routine STDs), just rubella.

Quoting pipers_mom:

I didn't think they ran titers unless there was a reason lol. My MW has never even asked if I'm up to date on vaccines...maybe it's because I let her know from the get-go that we don't do vaccines in our family.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM
The V word...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM

LMAO

I got the MMR after delivery because I refused it when pregnant, but I did understand WHY to get it. Rubella is a big deal when pregnant and I know its actually had an outbreak here recently.

My OB does titer tests every pregnancy

JMmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM
I knew it was a big deal while pregnant, Although this is the first time a medical professional has said anything to me about it. But why get it after delivery if the danger is during pregnancy? There has not been an outbreak here as far as I know.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

LMAO

I got the MMR after delivery because I refused it when pregnant, but I did understand WHY to get it. Rubella is a big deal when pregnant and I know its actually had an outbreak here recently.

My OB does titer tests every pregnancy

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:24 PM

LMBO! 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)