Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
So now I am occasionally coughing up chunks of green nastiness. And I have a fever and I feel like I've been hit by a bus. Still have a very hoarse voice but my throat isn't as sore, only when I cough or talk. Does this mean my body is working it out or that I have an infection? I've heard green is bad but don't know for sure.

At what would you go to the dr for yourself? I don't have a fever but I'm sore everywhere and I feel like my chest is on fire and full of phlegm that I can't get rid of. I have a cough but all it does it make my throat and neck hurt like crazy and I wheeze when I breath in. It's driving me crazy but I don't want to go in for nothing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Replies (21-28):
larissalarie
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM
I had asthma/bronchitis/pneumonia a lot growing up and as a teen. My Mom is big on going to the doctor and getting antibiotics for anything cough related, so I took a LOT of antibiotics growing up.

The best thing that ever happened to my health was becoming a young single mother who waitressed to support us while I was in college- aka no health insurance and fairly poor! So no running to the doctor for every thing anymore, couldn't afford it.
After my body had to fend stuff of on it's own a few times, I quit getting sick very often!

Quoting 2forKaty:

Yeah the only time I ever wonder is when it involves a cough and wheezing. Otherwise I wait it out too. I have always had a bad history with chest colds becoming bronchitis or pneumonia though, possibly thanks to my illness induced asthma.

Quoting larissalarie:

I pretty much never take myself to the doctor for illness. I know that whatever it is, my body will take care of it eventually.

Last spring was the first time I went to the doctor for an illness in a decade. I only went then because my throat was obviously very infected for 2 weeks and instead of getting better it had continued getting considerably worse every day.

Otherwise, I tough it out. The week after Christmas (the same week I found out I'm pregnant) I had some yucky miserable illness that had me severely coughing, aching all over, fevered, stuffed up nose, headache, etc. It went mostly away after about a week.

Feel better whatever you decide to do!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gbcmom
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM
If you have had the flu and now you can't take a full breath. I personally would go have a chest xray done. Flu can cause secondary infections like pnuemonia very easily.
2forKaty
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:41 AM
I haven't been sick in years. I am 28 and haven't had the flu or bronchitis or anything since I was about 14 and even then my mom only gave me antibiotics for pneumonia because she knew it wouldn't affect bronchitis. My immune system usually rocks but my husband just left me for another woman whom he had been having an affair with for a year so my stress level is through the roof and I have also lost 10lbs in about 2 months (I have never weighed less than 113 and now I am 107 down from 118). Soooo now I need to boost my immune system back up.

Quoting larissalarie:

I had asthma/bronchitis/pneumonia a lot growing up and as a teen. My Mom is big on going to the doctor and getting antibiotics for anything cough related, so I took a LOT of antibiotics growing up.

The best thing that ever happened to my health was becoming a young single mother who waitressed to support us while I was in college- aka no health insurance and fairly poor! So no running to the doctor for every thing anymore, couldn't afford it.

After my body had to fend stuff of on it's own a few times, I quit getting sick very often!

Quoting 2forKaty:

Yeah the only time I ever wonder is when it involves a cough and wheezing. Otherwise I wait it out too. I have always had a bad history with chest colds becoming bronchitis or pneumonia though, possibly thanks to my illness induced asthma.

Quoting larissalarie:

I pretty much never take myself to the doctor for illness. I know that whatever it is, my body will take care of it eventually.

Last spring was the first time I went to the doctor for an illness in a decade. I only went then because my throat was obviously very infected for 2 weeks and instead of getting better it had continued getting considerably worse every day.

Otherwise, I tough it out. The week after Christmas (the same week I found out I'm pregnant) I had some yucky miserable illness that had me severely coughing, aching all over, fevered, stuffed up nose, headache, etc. It went mostly away after about a week.

Feel better whatever you decide to do!
2forKaty
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM
This is what I'm worried about. And not so much that I even want antibiotics for it, just an inhaler would be nice so I can breath again.

Quoting gbcmom:

If you have had the flu and now you can't take a full breath. I personally would go have a chest xray done. Flu can cause secondary infections like pnuemonia very easily.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I go for fevers, I know that my body only gets fevers when its an infection it cant handle without meds.  I pay close attention to how my body reacts to being sick

KJH78
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I would go in and make sure it's not pneumonia or bronchitis. It's better to be safe than sorry. A doctor visit now to check it out is never a bad idea. I would go in!!!! You don't have to run a fever to be sick.

EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

usually i don't go until i've had to get antibiotics for my kiddo first. lol. then i figure there might be something really wrong. i went earlier than i ever have over christmas. (i'm ashamed to admit i just didn't want to waste my 2 weeks off with dh) and i'm glad i did. i had a sinus infection so bad the dr was alarmed. lol. i think when you have exhausted your home remedies it's time to go. the wheezing would concern me.

gamelas
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM

occicociccium really has helpe us this yr with flu.  our doc reccomends 4 vials the first 24 hours

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)