Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Need some informed advice.

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm entering the second trimester with baby number 2, and recently started looking into cloth diapers. We're trying to potty train my 2 year old, and he's having a rough transition from diapers to underwear, and since he's been wearing diapers less, they have been giving him rashes, which he's never had before, so I looked into disposable diapers and they are full of awful stuff and cost so much more than I realized, as well as filling dumps illegally with human waste. A friend of mine got me thinking about cloth diapers and I'm really interested, but I'm not sure what brands to go with and I don't want to invest my money in ones that won't hold up or that leak. My local cloth diaper shop has a great "try before you buy" system, but you only get to try the brand they pick, and then you get a credit to buy whatever you want at the end, and I'm not sure what to get.

I have a good bit of time to research, but I wanted some advice from people that have some experience. What brands have you tried? What did you like? How was going out during the day and overnight? Are there any issues I should be aware of? Positive experiences? How many should I plan on getting?

Thank you!

My tummy had the rumblies that only hands could satisfy.
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Many cd users have different preferences. I would go to www.greenmountaindiapers.com or www.cottonbabies.com for great cloth basics info.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM
There are a few cloth diaper groups on here that are great. You can learn do muc from them. The cloth diapering world can be very overwhelming because there are so many types and brands.
My favorite type is the pocket diaper. My favorite commercial brands are bum genius, blueberry/Swaddlebee, and little bee company.
In some of the groups, there are mamas who make diapers and sell them. If you aren't Icked out and are on a strict budget, you can buy used diapers from them.
I have about 26 diapers between my 3 year old and 18 month old. I still use one sposie per night per kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ImNotKarl
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Thank you. So far I've heard a lot of god things about bumgenius. I'm just a little overwhelmed with everything, because there is SO MUCH.

Quoting hapababies:

There are a few cloth diaper groups on here that are great. You can learn do muc from them. The cloth diapering world can be very overwhelming because there are so many types and brands.
My favorite type is the pocket diaper. My favorite commercial brands are bum genius, blueberry/Swaddlebee, and little bee company.
In some of the groups, there are mamas who make diapers and sell them. If you aren't Icked out and are on a strict budget, you can buy used diapers from them.
I have about 26 diapers between my 3 year old and 18 month old. I still use one sposie per night per kid.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM
If it weren't for the cloth diaper groups I joined here in cm, I don't know if I would still be using cloth. There is just too much information, kinds and brands that it turns into overload!

Quoting ImNotKarl:

Thank you. So far I've heard a lot of god things about bumgenius. I'm just a little overwhelmed with everything, because there is SO MUCH.

Quoting hapababies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I would defiantly try different styles and types. My favorite type is ai2 . Myfavorite commercial brand is bumgenius. I do mainly wahm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ImNotKarl
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM

The diapers they are using for the try before you buy thing are BestBottoms. I'm seriously considering doing this so I have some time to decide and try it out before making the commitment. My family is going to give me hell for cloth diapering, I'm sure. They are already freaked that I use a midwife, and that we aren't finding out the gender. Beyond freaked. I'm getting bullied into doing things the "normal" (to them) way. This is just going to be another thing I'm going to have to fight over. I want to be informed and make the trasition from disposables to cloth as easy as possible, since I won't have much support.

Quoting hapababies:

If it weren't for the cloth diaper groups I joined here in cm, I don't know if I would still be using cloth. There is just too much information, kinds and brands that it turns into overload!

Quoting ImNotKarl:

Quoting hapababies:

ImNotKarl
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM

What's the difference between AI2 and pocket diapers?

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I would defiantly try different styles and types. My favorite type is ai2 . Myfavorite commercial brand is bumgenius. I do mainly wahm.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM

we like CD alot, didnt start til 5 months with my 4th child.

They have cloth trainers, kawaii baby and blueberry brands are the ones I would recommend for that.

We prefer pocket diapers for babies over 15lbs but under that fitted and covers

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM
You will find a lot of support in this group for things that aren't considered mainstream. :)
Keep posting any questions you have and you'll find a lot of mamas in here have had a midwife, didn't find out the gender of their baby, and bumped heads with family members who don't understand the natural lifestyle.

Quoting ImNotKarl:

The diapers they are using for the try before you buy thing are BestBottoms. I'm seriously considering doing this so I have some time to decide and try it out before making the commitment. My family is going to give me hell for cloth diapering, I'm sure. They are already freaked that I use a midwife, and that we aren't finding out the gender. Beyond freaked. I'm getting bullied into doing things the "normal" (to them) way. This is just going to be another thing I'm going to have to fight over. I want to be informed and make the trasition from disposables to cloth as easy as possible, since I won't have much support.

Quoting hapababies:

Quoting ImNotKarl:

Quoting hapababies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM

peaches_04 uses a brand of trainers for her toddler. She'll have to tell you which brand though. Flips maybe?

As far as other diapers, I've used Fuzzibunz, Flips and Thirsties.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)