Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

trying to prepare for every inevitability...

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM
  • 3 Replies

a little background: my first two babies were 7lb 12 oz and 7lb 10 oz at 37 and 38w. The one baby I carried to full term (40+3) was 9lb 2oz. I make big kids :-P No history of GD and none this go around either. 

With this baby I was charting and according to my calculations (I was temping so I know exactly when I O'd and when we had sex) I should have been due on April 11. According to the first ultrasound he put my date at April 18th. (I was super happy he moved my EDD BACK)

I am trying to prepare myself for the eventual conversation that I know will be coming. I am pretty sure that he will want to induce me at 39w. I will not consent just because of a big baby, though I am considering allowing him to strip my membranes at 39w because thats what I am pretty sure is actually my 40 w. 

This baby is on track to be a really big one as well. With Michael I needed to be induced due to a heart arythmia that developed between 39w and 40+3. I did pitocin (which did squat until he broke my water 3 hours later) then it was another 2 hours before he turned my pit off/ stopped jacking it up. 

I . Hate. Pitocin. 

Now, I am NOT planning on a medical induction, I AM planning on doing what I can to avoid an induction. I know that if I would go past my EDD so long as I and baby are healthy I he won't let me go past my EDD more than 10 days. I am actually comfortable with that number because I think that would put me past what I am pretty confident would be actually 42w. Now, my question is this. If medical induction is needed (For either going 10 days past April 18, or a medical reason) would it make more sense labor wise (with the plan of no epi or pain meds) to have him actually break my water but not use pitocin to see if my labor would start on its own after that? 

Again this is NOT my plan, but I really want to avoid pit if I at all can, and if things happen like last time where I can't have the natural birth I plan for and desire, I want to know what the best options are. Hope this makes sense. 

Blessed Mommy to: Angel Baby : 07/08/08  Alexander Jayce:05/21/09 Kalea Brielle: 06/03/10 Michael Zachary 09/22/11 Angel Baby: 07/02/12

My adventerous life!

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
larissalarie
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM
If I had to have an induction, and I can't imagine a scenario where that's possible...the body doesn't grow something too big for Mom to handle...
I would choose to have my water broken. But my labors are rapid and get started with my water breaking and the kiddos are out a couple of hours later.
If you have a history of slow labor, that might not be a good choice for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HamBergerMama
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in full agreement on the big baby thing. (My friend delivered a -no lie- 13lb baby. Perfectly healthy no sugar problems on either mom or baby) I just know he will use that as an excuse and I will have to have the convo before 40 weeks. (At which point I will toss back my 9lb I delivered in 3 pushes;-)

My first was a looooong labor but once my water broke only 7 hours till pushing.

My second was 6.5 hours but would have been shorter if I didn't get the epi.

My last one was the pitocin induced. And honestly the started the drip at 11:30 but I don't count labor as starring till 2 when the broke my water. That's when actual contractions began. He was born at 5:15.

Sorry that was a long answer to your question, I'm not too worried about a long labor

Quoting larissalarie:

If I had to have an induction, and I can't imagine a scenario where that's possible...the body doesn't grow something too big for Mom to handle...
I would choose to have my water broken. But my labors are rapid and get started with my water breaking and the kiddos are out a couple of hours later.
If you have a history of slow labor, that might not be a good choice for you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I vote keep water intact - if the induction doesn't work or you don't progress, you can go home and sleep and try again in a day or two. Your risk of infection is also increased with broken water.

I personally would start with foley bulb (I think you have to be at least 2 cm dilated for that) and then cervidil (NOT cytotec) if an induction were needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN