Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've got a newbie. And she's bright red in the diaper area every time I change her. I have different fabric dipes and it happens on all of them (cotton prefolds, suede cloth Rumparooz, microfiber BGs). I've changed detergents twice (and wash her clothes in the same....no red on her body elsewhere) with no change. They're all still brand new, so I can't imagine it's a build up issue. Ideas?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Replies (11-20):
Duquesne
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM
I can't afford any of those. Lol.

Quoting MrsKish:

Omg nooooooo that will eat her skin... Try sun&earth, Charlie's or country save. Or even just blue dawn or baking soda in till you can get a real CD detergent 100% no emzimes ever...

Quoting Duquesne:

Cheer? I think. Lol. I've tried a ton.

Quoting MrsKish:

What type of detergent are you using now? Are you EBFing her?

Quoting Duquesne:

Water and flannel. Typically dry. But she's pooping a billion times a day. It's hard to avoid moisture!

MrsKish
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Emzimes are the stain blocker In Most detergents their job is to eat what u drop on Your clothing. If baby has them in her diaper not only will they eat the poop but her bum too b/c of the poop that's on it.

Quoting Duquesne:

Ok, dumb person question. Why wouldn't it irritate everywhere else? Just because its loose?

Quoting MrsKish:

Omg nooooooo that will eat her skin... Try sun&earth, Charlie's or country save.

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting MrsKish:

Quoting Duquesne:

Water and flannel. Typically dry. But she's pooping a billion times a day. It's hard to avoid moisture!

Duquesne
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Ahh. Odd it was on the approved for diaper list then. Any non-$50 detergents safe for use?

Quoting MrsKish:

Emzimes are the stain blocker In Most detergents their job is to eat what u drop on Your clothing. If baby has them in her diaper not only will they eat the poop but her bum too b/c of the poop that's on it.

Quoting Duquesne:

Ok, dumb person question. Why wouldn't it irritate everywhere else? Just because its loose?

Quoting MrsKish:

Omg nooooooo that will eat her skin... Try sun&earth, Charlie's or country save.

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting MrsKish:

Quoting Duquesne:

Duquesne
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Homemade detergent, maybe?
momNstinks
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I use Rockin Green detergent for dd's cloth diapers. You can get that for $16-20 bucks

MrsKish
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Go with washing soda.... It's cheap and you can't mess up half a cup to a large load

Quoting Duquesne:

Ahh. Odd it was on the approved for diaper list then. Any non-$50 detergents safe for use?

Quoting MrsKish:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting MrsKish:

Quoting Duquesne:

Quoting MrsKish:

Quoting Duquesne:

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM
I use Biokleen powder. Country Save shouldn't cost more than $15 a box. I have made my own before:
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax
1 bar Fels Naptha grated fine
You can also use 1 cup oxygen bleach or baking soda.
2-6 tablespoons of soap per load.
Some babies have reactions to soap in diapers even if they have no reaction with their clothing.
michellefrogs
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Charlie's soap and country save are cheap and last forever. You only need half the amount of detergent called for. I use soap nuts personally. Completely chemical free. I got a box off Amazon for $10 and it does a hundred loads. Cheer is full of nasty chemicals! I would also try cutting out acidic foods and see if that helps. I had to cut out tomatoes for a few months, because every time I ate them it gave my daughter diaper rash. She's 10 months now and thankfully it stopped!

Duquesne
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong stuff. I searched amazon for the detergents and they ranged 35-50$ I guess I was wrong. I'm not an all-natural mom, so I'm not on par with chemical info. But it doesn't effect her elsewhere, so again, I don't think it's the detergent anyway. It's not painful for her either

Quoting michellefrogs:

Charlie's soap and country save are cheap and last forever. You only need half the amount of detergent called for. I use soap nuts personally. Completely chemical free. I got a box off Amazon for $10 and it does a hundred loads. Cheer is full of nasty chemicals! I would also try cutting out acidic foods and see if that helps. I had to cut out tomatoes for a few months, because every time I ate them it gave my daughter diaper rash. She's 10 months now and thankfully it stopped!

Kyonarai
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:18 PM

It might not be the detergent. I use Tide powder on all my dipes with no issue, and have since the beginning
(dd is 13 months old now). I'd try using coconut oil on her(the organic pressed kind is best, I found some at HEB), or just modifying your diet. I know that I couldn't eat oranges or tangerines when dd was a newborn because it gave her diaper rash. I would also try adding a few drops of baby wash to your wipe solution instead of just water, to help remove the bacteria on her bum. I keep my wipe solution(water, a bit of coconut oil, a bit of baby wash) in a small spritz bottle($.99 at walmart) and spray it on her butt and then wipe it off with a dry cloth wipe. Now that she's having solid poops, I do keep some sposie wipes on hand to grab the solids before using the cloth wipes to finish cleanup.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)