Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey YOU! I need some ideas about getting more support for women in my community.

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:42 AM
  • 4 Replies
I moved to the Texas panhandle about 5 months ago. I have been SHOCKED at the lack of community and support for women who want to birth and parent naturally. Getting a hold of a birth professional is difficult, routine hospital practices are archaic and interfere with normal bonding and breastfeeding, and there is no cohesive group to help women navigate this hell. Well, I won't stand for it. A friend of mine and I are getting together and brainstorming ways to affect change in our community. What do you guys have for me? I'm thinking about presenting evidence about early bonding and breastfeeding and skin to skin, along with a thousand signatures on a petition to the hospital boards. Handing out fliers and cards to pregnant women and new moms. Starting up a Dar a Luz chapter (I am already a leader for them)...

What else can we do?
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MrsKish
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Look up your local babywearing group and LLL to find crunchy moms near you and go from there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ruby_jewel_04
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:55 AM
I'm a newbie to the natural birth and parenting thing. But it sounds like you have a ton of great ideas already. Good job Momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Several years ago we had a breastfeeding conference. I only knew about it because of a flyer at the OB's office. It was good. Dr. Hale spoke at it. As did my pediatrician, who is a great breastfeeding advocate. Something like that would be nice to have again. There is an annual conference thing but I think it is mostly geared toward professionals and I never can find information about when it is until I see it at the Civic Center.

In our defense, there is a small group of us that do get together occasionally. It is hard here. The medical community has such a stranglehold. I would say at least half of the women I know at church had c/s. And, as far as I know with subsequent babes they had repeats. 

I think most women here trust too much in the ads you see about town how that BSA is ranked 'one of the best hospitals'. *eyeroll* Definitely not true when it comes to birth and pp care. Then NWTH just opened their new mom/baby unit which I am sure seduces many.

I have had people, not to my face, but through their kids to my kids say that homebirth is dangerous etc etc. Just disgusting.

I don't think it is any coincidence that this is also the most 'conservative' area in TX. People here have an unnatural awe for those in 'authority'.

I'm not great at coming up with ideas, but I'm willing to help out if I can. :)

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:37 AM
This would be my suggestion.

Quoting MrsKish:

Look up your local babywearing group and LLL to find crunchy moms near you and go from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)