Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

vitamin help!!!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM
  • 28 Replies

i need help!!! i am 8 weeks pregnant and i can not swallow my prenatal vitamins!! i have tried Rainbow Light just one and Country LIfe.  i cannot swallow pills. i am a big baby.  i physically can't do it.  All the little vitamins that the dr gave samples of have gelatin in them (i am vegan) and are LOADED with artificial colors!!! i feel like i'm doing more of a service to my baby by not taking ANY vitamins than by putting that garbage in my body!  i need advise/ideas.  I know drs tell women who can't swallow the vitamins to take flinstones chewables but those are not vegan AND loaded with garbage.  Anyone else have this problem??? anyone have a solution?? i'm really scared that i'm doing harm to my baby :(  HELP!!

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I didn't take any prenatals with this pregnancy and I felt really guilty about not doing it during first trimester.

But I noticed I could eat more real food when I didn't have an upset stomach from prenatals so I figured it was better to get nutrition that way than keep trying to swallow pills. Women have had healthy babies looooong before prenatals were made :)

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh I get a lot of very absorbable vitamins and minerals from herbal teas (i take red raspberry leaf, alfalfa, and nettle although there are others you can add too which have other benefits). I drink them multiple times a day throughout pregnancy and I think they've had a big effect on my overall health and ease of two pregnancies now.

They're a lot easier to stomach during 1st trimester too.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I found I did better if I took them with dinner but if you are eating a healthy diet they really arent needed

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM
2 moms liked this
If you eat a healthy diet, you'll be fine without taking any.

However, surely they make vegan children's vitamins! Why not pick up some of those?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amycapl
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

i do have some kids vitamins for my daughter... i suppose i could chew a couple of those babies ...... :)

Quoting larissalarie:

If you eat a healthy diet, you'll be fine without taking any.

However, surely they make vegan children's vitamins! Why not pick up some of those?

rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Liquid form

butterflyk1ssez
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

have you tried rainbow light PETITE? I have a hard time swallowing pilsl and found those easy but I am now taking New Chapter prenatals. I bet you could even do a really good no preservative liquid vitamin (that has to be put in the fridge). 

MarcusLuv121
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM

These ones are the best! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321053610905?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM
2 moms liked this

My CNM told me have a great diet and dont worry about prenatals! I have had 4 healthy pregnancies and babies with NO prenatals.

I do the Brewers diet, I dont know how it can be adapted for vegans but its worth looking at

dakojayd88
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I think te most important thing is folic acid, could you manage to take one of those? They are pretty small and easy to swallow. And you could always grind the vitamin up in a flavorful smoothie. Make it easy get a pestel to grind them up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)