Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Not sure what to do

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 7 Replies

DD is 10.5 months and I'm not sure exactly how to handle this situation. She doesn't crawl, but she cruises. She can't pull up on her own because she won't go on her knees. She will sit and scream for me to help her to a standing position, which I don't have a problem with if it wasn't for the screaming every 5 minutes. I try to show her how to get on her knees, but she won't let me put her there. When she's screaming, there is absolutely nothing wrong with her except that she wants to stand up. She knows how to get on to her tummy and roll to what she wants, but she has recently stopped doing that because she knows she can get me to come help her up and walk to what she wants. If I "actively ignore" her, she eventually turns her attention to something else, but is that appropriate at this age? I want to encourage the walking, but I'm afraid if I keep helping her up every time, we will be doing this for months because she doesn't HAVE to do it on her own. But if I ignore her, will I discourage her walking? WWYD?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
imtheonlysane1
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Have you tried putting her in a walker? It could help her want to walk on her own without the walker holding her back. Just a thought.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Hmmm. Have you tried encouraging her with toys? Hers doesn't like to crawl, but she will pull herself up and cruise. I use toys to encourage her to crawl to me and that helps a lot. Maybe you could sit in the couch with a toy and encourage her to pull herself up. That way you're not ignoring her, but you're not doing it for her.
I also noticed that hera makes leaps and bounds in her crawling when she spends time with another baby who crawls. Are there any kids you could play date with around that age?

Or heck, even doing it yourself may be a good example.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjrex87
by Mindy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM

She usually just gets mad at me when I try to encourage her, lol. I guess I give in too quickly... I do have a friend with a baby close in age, we definitely should be spending more time together!

Quoting jellyphish:

Hmmm. Have you tried encouraging her with toys? Hers doesn't like to crawl, but she will pull herself up and cruise. I use toys to encourage her to crawl to me and that helps a lot. Maybe you could sit in the couch with a toy and encourage her to pull herself up. That way you're not ignoring her, but you're not doing it for her.
I also noticed that hera makes leaps and bounds in her crawling when she spends time with another baby who crawls. Are there any kids you could play date with around that age?

Or heck, even doing it yourself may be a good example.

mjrex87
by Mindy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I never got a walker since it's a "crotch dangler" but I may consider letting her use one for a little bit now that she's supporting her own weight. Maybe if she strengthens her legs some, she'll start doing more on her own.

Quoting imtheonlysane1:

Have you tried putting her in a walker? It could help her want to walk on her own without the walker holding her back. Just a thought.

Peera
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM

This totally works. We have a friend whose son is developmentally delayed, so even though he's almost a year older than DS, he's frequently physically behind him. But every time we would go & visit & DS was doing something their boy couldn't yet, we would get an email within a week: "___ is crawling/standing/walking!" Seeing DS do it just always seemed to make it click "I can do that too!"

Quoting jellyphish:

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

dakojayd88
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Don't worry at that age. My nephew was a "slow learner" at first, but now he is past a year, and he is doing all the things he should. Every baby is sooooooo different. 

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not worry too much about it. I would help baby when I could, and encourage baby to do it on her own when I couldn't..  :o)

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN