Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Croup

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM
  • 9 Replies

Christian has it bad. Steam showers are doing nothing. Any other suggestions?

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Amycapl
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM

try standing by the freezer. or is it cold where you live? you could go outside for a few minutes. it's the temperature change, i believe, as opposed to the steam.

ballerina.2006
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM
How is the breathing? You may want to go to the pedi or urgent care. My ds had RSV that presented itself like croup. The only real indicator was the breathing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I have heard about going outside. Unfortunately we are in a mini heat wave here in Pa. I doubt 60 degrees is cold enough.

Quoting Amycapl:

try standing by the freezer. or is it cold where you live? you could go outside for a few minutes. it's the temperature change, i believe, as opposed to the steam.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KJH78
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM

My daughter had that at Thanksgiving and we bought a cool mist humidifier. It works much better than steam. If you are in to supplements you can also use lithey tree and briar rose to help with the coughing.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Bump
PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:46 PM

When my daughter had it the first time, I called 911 because she was coughing so much she couldn't breath and she came crying into our room.  While we were waiting for the ambulance, I gave her a quick puff of my albuterol inhaler (shallow breath) and by the time I got her coat on to take her outside to wait for the ambulance, her coughing had stopped.  We went to the ER and she got a shot of prednisone.  The next time she had the croup, I just treated it at home since I knew the symptoms.

mamalusbear
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Humidifier?  We used the Vicks one (it is a bit loud) with DS when he had croup a few weeks ago.  Ran it nonstop in his room.

VintageWife
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:52 AM

We've started running a humidifier. It's lessened dd's coughing at night.

GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:08 AM

I was diagnosed with croup earlier this month. The nurse laughed and said that in adults it is called larengitis, but in children it is called croup.  She said that it will simply pass, but to help my throat I should spend time outside in the cold weather....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN