Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

why would an lc tell a nursing mother her milk was too thin?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM
  • 17 Replies

one of the moms on my local breastfeeding group was told by the local lc through the hospital was the reason her daughter was coughing, throwing up and getting milk up her nose was because her milk was too thin to stay in her stomach.  her recommendation was to increase her fish oil suppliments to add fat to her milk.  has anyone ever heard of this before?

and to clarify she wasnt talking about AOL or too much foremilk being the problem.  she was specifically saying that her daughter was having issues because her milk wasnt fatty enough and couldnt stay in her stomach without the fat.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM

That doesn't sound right to me. 

I have 'thin' milk. When I pump I get this very thin layer of fat at the top. My babies come out nice and chunky but thin out pretty quick. I did take supplements and ate certain foods to make my milk more fatty with #7 because she wasn't gaining at all. That helped a bit. I was also having supply issues that time.

tansyflower
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM

yeah this mom was not having supply issues or weight gain issues, just the coughing/vomitting/milk up the nose which she was concerned about.  personally it sounded like OAL to me.  she was also worried because she went from pumping 4 oz down to 2 oz at 8 weeks which sounds totally normal (milk regulation) but she was worried that her supply was dropping even though baby has more than enough wet dipes in a day.  i honestly dont understand why her lc was telling her she was having issues with thin milk or her supply.

from what i understand the carbs in foremilk will put on just as weight as the fat in hindmilk and the reason there is so much more foremilk in the beginning is because it digests faster which makes baby nurse more often which helps increase mom's supply.

but maybe i am wrong? 

Quoting joyful_mama:

That doesn't sound right to me. 

I have 'thin' milk. When I pump I get this very thin layer of fat at the top. My babies come out nice and chunky but thin out pretty quick. I did take supplements and ate certain foods to make my milk more fatty with #7 because she wasn't gaining at all. That helped a bit. I was also having supply issues that time.

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Not all LCs are equal unfortunately. Also she may have not been a LC at all, I am a breast feeding peer counselor and i have to correct people all the time when they refer to me as a LC.

IMO it sounds like OAL. Maybe point her here or kellymom for some reading.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

i told her it sounded like AOL, plus her daughter symptoms have almost gone away in the past two weeks which along with her lower pumping output also points to AOL she had early on before regulating. 

idk a few of the other woman chimed in and talked about how great this lc was and to just listen to her (she is one of the only ones in our area) but i have helped two other new mothers who went to her diagnose serious tongue ties that she missed and gave them info on ents and help with the ordering and use of an sns and they both weaned off the supplement after their babies got clipped within a week.  she had told them they just had supply problems and to supplement and sent them on their way :/

idk she doesnt sound very qaulified to me!

Quoting hriabywx4:

Not all LCs are equal unfortunately. Also she may have not been a LC at all, I am a breast feeding peer counselor and i have to correct people all the time when they refer to me as a LC.

IMO it sounds like OAL. Maybe point her here or kellymom for some reading.

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Seems odd to me. I've never heard of anything like that before.

Maybe suggest a second opinion from an IBCLC - unfortunately a lot of LCs lack training :(

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM

That sounds pretty normal from my experience, for the reason you mentioned. Average pumping output is 2 oz/session from both breasts.

Quoting tansyflower:

she was also worried because she went from pumping 4 oz down to 2 oz at 8 weeks which sounds totally normal (milk regulation) but she was worried that her supply was dropping even though baby has more than enough wet dipes in a day. 

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Sounds like yet another "LC" in name only.

If the baby is throwing up excessively, it makes much more sense that it'd be an OAL and/or oversupply issue. The fat content of the milk shouldn't matter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Does fish oil really fatten up your milk? Ill have to try that
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:42 AM

IDK.. sounds like classic symptoms of overactive letdown.

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/
Does your baby do any of these things?

-Gag, choke, strangle, gulp, gasp, cough while nursing
as though the milk is coming too fast
-Pull off the breast often while nursing
-Clamp down on the nipple at let-down to slow the flow of milk
-Make a clicking sound when nursing
-Spit up very often and/or tend to be very gassy
-Periodically
refuse to nurse
-Dislike
comfort nursing in general

If some of this sounds familiar to you, you probably have a forceful let-down. This is often associated with too much milk (oversupply). Some mothers notice that the problems with fast letdown or oversupply don’t start until 3-6 weeks of age. Forceful let-down runs the gamut from a minor inconvenience to a major problem, depending upon how severe it is and how it affects the nursing relationship.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Obviously this LC is not an IBCLC and doesnt have correct training, if shes an IBCL she needs to be reported because its a blatant untruth

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)