Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

natural death and dying

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:42 AM
  • 41 Replies
Not to get all morbid on yall but its what i do for a living so its on my brain a lot

I see a lot of family members pull every intervention they can to keep dying relatives alive as long as possible
It makes me sad:(
Have you thoughg about how you want to die? Does your family know your wishes?

Im assuming since a lot of you ladies LIVE naturally youd prefer to die in a similar fashion

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't do a DNR, but I don't want them to decide to let me go at the first sign of infection either!!!!

littlelambe2
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Same as tiff. I don't believe in living on life support for extended periods, living as a vegetable, etc, but if I have a fixable condition, I would want the medical care. But, I wouldn't do invasive treatment for a few extra months of life. Quality vs quantity. 

Peera
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Yes, I took a sociology class on death in college & learned to be very vocal about my preference to anyone who might have any type of say in the matter (I took the class shortly after the Terri Schiavo fiasco, so I think it was on almost everyone's mind.), and then with our friend passing away this Christmas, SO and I reaffirmed to each other that we have no desire to be kept on life support.

mommy_2_be_2010
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Nobody knows but my daughters dad if i die before she turns 18 and if i'm not married i expect my mom or dad(namely my daddy) to carry out my wishes keep me on life support so i can hug my daughter if i'm able and then allow me to go before my creator and meet my family at the gates
madisonsmom2005
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I have a pretty high risk job so my wishes are well known. If there is no chance of me living without a machine, I would want my family to donate as much of me as they can and pull the plug. If there is a chance I can live, then they know that I want them to do whatever they can to help me live.

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                                                                                              I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!

Pregnancy%20ticker
Sarah725
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM
What is it exactly that you do?
Sarah725
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Im not sure what i want but i am an organ donor (signed up to be).
Julia.C
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I was just thinking about this yesterday.    Not too long ago my Aunt ended up in a coma, breathing tubes, feeding tubes... living off machines basically.  She is a diabetic and had complications with that.  My grandmother sat by her side for 6 MONTHS while lived in a hotel room.  Surprisingly, my aunt came out of it, but lives in a bed with constant care.  My grandmother moved her in with her.  She can barely talk, has a feeding port and relies on nurses and others 24 hours a day.  She has asked to die several times. 

I can understand both sides.  As an individual I would have hoped that my family would have let me go originally.  I couldn't/wouldn't want to live like that.

And then the mother in me says that if it was my son/daughter - I would fight to the very end just like my grandmother to keep my child alive.  I can't imagine how it has to feel and just seeing his/her face every day would make it all worth it somehow... ( but is it fair to them? or would that just be a selfish act on my part? )

thundersky
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM

me and my DH have talked about it in great detail. if our bodies need help getting better then that is fine but if either of our bodies have had enouph and just cant handle keeping either of us alive then to just let me go. 

graycalico
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM
I'm for death with dignity for terminal illness. Otherwise natural is what I want. I'd want to go at home and nowhere near a hospital. Preferably I won't see it coming. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)