Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

probiotic question for antibiotic round

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hi all! My dh had an abcess under his arm that had to be drained yesterday. They put him on two different antibiotics. I have acidophilus but im wondering if he's going to need a more broader spectrum probiotic. Thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
robbinbj
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I use a product called florastor, it's really expensive but really good! I actually have chronic ulcerative colitis, and my first flare was triggered my multiple strong antibiotics used when I had severe pneumonia. I HIGHLY recommend this probiotic. Every human has the potential to end up with colitis if something triggers a flare, and acidophilus is not strong enough to combat antibiotic induced colitis.
Magnolia7
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I would use a broader spectrum if he's been on 2 different forms of antibiotic - those will kill a broader spectrum of bacteria, including the good ones.  Remember to space them out and to take the probiotics two hours before or after the antibiotics, and then to follow up with probiotics for 7-10 days after the antibiotic is completed.

skylarkdancer
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Thanks guys. I ended up picking up a broad spectrum jarrow brand probiotic at whole foods. Now to get him to take it. ;-)
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM
I get Natures Bounty brand that has 10 different strains and 20 billion cultures
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Magnolia7
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Tell him it will prevent that nasty diarrhea :)

skylarkdancer
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Yeah I tried to.warn him of that. We will see. ;-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)