Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

progesterone??

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM
  • 15 Replies

Where can I get some to take orally (If I can)

I have miscarried twice and so with my son my Dr put me on progesterone suppositories. My first Dr visit with my current pregnancy isnt for more than a month away and I kind of want to take the precaustions I need to not miscarry before then.

Is it possible and safe for me to get som pregesterone pills or something to take during my first trmester ? By the time my dr visit hits I could be anywhere from 10 -14 weeks along.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd avoid any progesterone given by a dr. That's syntehtic. There are natural progesterone creams that can be used and applied to skin. Mama Natural reccomends one here

http://mamanatural.com/10-essentials-to-a-natural-childbirth/

lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM

and yes its safe to take in first trimester, even through most of pregnancy, and from what ive read really helps at preventing mc.

JennaFoix
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Yeah by the time I see a dr they probably wouldnt put me on it anyway because i will most likely be passed my danger zone. That is why I want to get some now and start taking it. If I put it on my skin though how would it get to my uterus to help baby?? When I had dr prescribed  it was a suppository i put in my vag close to my cervix. so I understand how that would help.

larissalarie
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I know nothing about your progesterone question, but everything you put on your skin enters your blood stream and obviously your blood stream goes to your baby. Plus, it's YOUR body that needs the hormones to support the pregnancy, the baby doesn't need the hormones.
Even the suppositories work by getting medicine into your blood stream, it's not like it went directly to your baby, lol.

Quoting JennaFoix:

Yeah by the time I see a dr they probably wouldnt put me on it anyway because i will most likely be passed my danger zone. That is why I want to get some now and start taking it. If I put it on my skin though how would it get to my uterus to help baby?? When I had dr prescribed  it was a suppository i put in my vag close to my cervix. so I understand how that would help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Can't you just tell your doctor about your history? They can send order to a lab to check your hormone levels and call you in a prescription all without having seem you yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM
What about teas? Does anyone else have any input on RRL or is that for later in pregnancy? I have no clue about progesterone
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:53 PM

putting it on your skin will work. It doesn't matter. The stuff your dr perscribed is syntehtic progestrone not what your body makes. You want to use a natural cream like I referenced. The cream is absorbed by your skin and goes straight int your blood stream. It doesn't really matter where you put it.

Quoting JennaFoix:

tansyflower
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:53 PM

personally i would consult a naturopath and get on bio-identical hormone replacement before ttc.  because implantation happens so early in the pregnancy it is very important to start your replacement therapy right away.  my naturopath did not recommend the cream since it is hard to get the same amount onto your skin each time and some people absorb it better than others depending on quite a few facters like weight, hydration ect. 

my progesterone was sublingual tablets that i took at the same time each day for the first 5 months of each of my pregnancies.  after 5 months the baby starts making their own progesterone so you slowly can taper off.  i also got a full hormone salva panel done prior to ttc so she could acurrately dose me.  pm me if you ever want to talk!

lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM

^ something to note about what she said aboe, is if you start progesterone you can't just stop, you need to taper off slowly.

jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Wow I didn't know about any of that stuff. Interesting! Wish I had known so I could have told my cousin when she was pregnant. She was taking synthetic hormones since she had a history of going into labor really early. Although IDK if that's really the same thing lol

Quoting tansyflower:

personally i would consult a naturopath and get on bio-identical hormone replacement before ttc.  because implantation happens so early in the pregnancy it is very important to start your replacement therapy right away.  my naturopath did not recommend the cream since it is hard to get the same amount onto your skin each time and some people absorb it better than others depending on quite a few facters like weight, hydration ect. 

my progesterone was sublingual tablets that i took at the same time each day for the first 5 months of each of my pregnancies.  after 5 months the baby starts making their own progesterone so you slowly can taper off.  i also got a full hormone salva panel done prior to ttc so she could acurrately dose me.  pm me if you ever want to talk!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)