Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding supplies

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 12 Replies
I am planning on breastfeeding my son, and am hoping to get advice on what I will need. I breastfed my oldest for a short period of time. So I know I will need nipple cream and breast pads (I will be using reusable cloth ones), and I need nursing bras and some nursing tops. I would like to get a nursing pillow, but am not sure what kind. I'm leaning towards my brest friend. I am alsi planning on pumping to keep my supply up, but will probably just get a single electric or single manual. And thoughts on these products and anything else I may need that I am forgetting about? I'm 31 weeks today, so id like to get my things in order soon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Those supplies all sound nice! The lovely thing about breastfeeding is that you don't NEED any special supplies :-)

Also, you don't have to pump to maintain supply unless you are separated from baby and pump for a missed feeding. Otherwise, nurse on demand and your supply will be perfect.

It sounds like you've thought of more than enough special supplies, I'm sure you'll be set with all that. The only supplies I've ever gotten for breastfeeding were pads & bras, and a pump for while I was at work.

Congratulations & good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taurusmom88
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Lol. Thank you. I'm just nervous because my supply got messed up the first time I was breast feeding. My son is lactose intolerant so was having stomach issue, and wasn't feeding well because of it. I was young and stupid, so I didn't research it. I am more educated this time around, but still paranoid. Lol. The pump should help me keep my supply up if I am needing to adjust my diet for the baby if he ends up with the same issues.

Quoting larissalarie:

Those supplies all sound nice! The lovely thing about breastfeeding is that you don't NEED any special supplies :-)

Also, you don't have to pump to maintain supply unless you are separated from baby and pump for a missed feeding. Otherwise, nurse on demand and your supply will be perfect.

It sounds like you've thought of more than enough special supplies, I'm sure you'll be set with all that. The only supplies I've ever gotten for breastfeeding were pads & bras, and a pump for while I was at work.

larissalarie
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM
It was probably a milk protein intolerance, not the lactose. Sorry, it's one of those little things that drives me nuts, and even doctors call it the wrong thing! Your milk will have tons of lactose in it no matter what you eat, human babies are designed to need a ton. There is an extremely rare condition called galactosemia where a baby truly can't handle lactose, but that would make baby deathly ill within days of birth and is a case where special formula would be needed and lifesaving since human breastmilk can't be made to be lactose free.

Anyway, my second child had a severe allergy/intolerance to cow milk protein. I had to eliminate every trace from my diet. It didn't cause any sort of supply issue though, what you eat really doesn't make a difference there.
Pumping is fine if it makes you feel better, just be careful of causing yourself to have an oversupply. That might sound nice, but it can cause baby to have a lot of issues (reflux, upset tummy, etc) and getting an oversupply back under control is a pain...literally! Also be careful of giving supplemental bottles, especially in the early weeks. THAT is the single biggest cause of moms supply issues, even though most don't realize it.
Quoting taurusmom88:

Lol. Thank you. I'm just nervous because my supply got messed up the first time I was breast feeding. My son is lactose intolerant so was having stomach issue, and wasn't feeding well because of it. I was young and stupid, so I didn't research it. I am more educated this time around, but still paranoid. Lol. The pump should help me keep my supply up if I am needing to adjust my diet for the baby if he ends up with the same issues.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taurusmom88
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Okay. Thanks for the great info. I didn't know that. His pedi didn't say it was lactose intolerance, I just assumed. All he told me was it was a behavioral problem (at like 4 weeks old... yeah right) I switched to the sensitive formula and ut helped a lot.

Quoting larissalarie:

It was probably a milk protein intolerance, not the lactose. Sorry, it's one of those little things that drives me nuts, and even doctors call it the wrong thing! Your milk will have tons of lactose in it no matter what you eat, human babies are designed to need a ton. There is an extremely rare condition called galactosemia where a baby truly can't handle lactose, but that would make baby deathly ill within days of birth and is a case where special formula would be needed and lifesaving since human breastmilk can't be made to be lactose free.

Anyway, my second child had a severe allergy/intolerance to cow milk protein. I had to eliminate every trace from my diet. It didn't cause any sort of supply issue though, what you eat really doesn't make a difference there.
Pumping is fine if it makes you feel better, just be careful of causing yourself to have an oversupply. That might sound nice, but it can cause baby to have a lot of issues (reflux, upset tummy, etc) and getting an oversupply back under control is a pain...literally! Also be careful of giving supplemental bottles, especially in the early weeks. THAT is the single biggest cause of moms supply issues, even though most don't realize it.
Quoting taurusmom88:

Quoting larissalarie:

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I'm not a fan of BF pillows personally; I think regular bed pillows are easier because they're so much more adjustable and you can lean back to nurse with them. But I have a long torso so a BF pillow didn't raise the baby up high enough and I had to lean over which was uncomfortable for me and bad for latching.

I agree with PP, you don't *need* a pump to maintain supply unless you'll be away from baby.

A small box of breastmilk storage bags is nice - sometimes I wake up really full and I can hand express an ounce or two to throw in the freezer.

peaches_04
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Recieving blankets at hand to wipe leaking boobs

Lots of water/good water bottle

Look up recipes for lactation cookies
mamoore83
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Hi I hardly ever post in here but, I think the only Needs are breast and a baby :-) and lots of water. For me lanolin cream helped a lot for a while but I heard if there are nipple problems you can put some best milk on them and let them airdry. I have like 2 "nursing tops" putting a shirt under your shirt works very well. If you will be going back to work a good electric double pump. A wrap is nice I couldn't nurse in one till she was a little older but it's still nice. If you will be pumping a couple of bottles and stage bags. Ohh and join breast feeding moms group for any questions that group and this one seem to be the most informed about breast feeding, because I swear it's in the babies job description to make you feel like you aren't feeding then enough/to much or the rightway or why does my baby .... They are so good about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I loved my My Brest Friend pillow for the first few months when I was really tired. It was worth the money! My favorite thing is the Boba carrier. I nursed in it from the beginning with my last child and it was a lifesaver. Other than that you don't need much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taurusmom88
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Thanks for all the feedback ladies.
catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Basic breastfeeding supplies for me..  nursing camis/bras, nursing pads, nursing cream, nursing pillow. Some of my favorite breastfeeding supplies' brands....

Nursing camis.. love those from Target.
Nursing bras.. Medela, Bravado.
Nursing pads.. Medela washable/disposable.
Nursing cream.. Lansinoh and Medela.
Nursing pillow.. Boppy and My Brest Friend.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)