Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thoughts on taking zofran... or natural nausea remedy advice would be appreciated

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM
  • 21 Replies

I am into my 7th week of pregnancy with my first baby. I am super natural minded, healthy eating, use natural cleaning products and toiletries, never take pharmacuticals (otc or perscribed) etc... But I have gotten a bad case of nausea that lasts all day long and started over a week ago. I have zero appetite and food aversions to everything known to man. I have been eating toast, crackers, and applesauce for the most part and have had a hard time consuming water as well. I throw up everyday at least once, especially if I eat something other than the toast/cracker foods which I consume in small amounts. I work 8 hours a day, monday thru friday and feeling so awful has made it extremely difficult to be at work and feel so gross. 

I have tried the following remedies to combat nausea:

-ginger ale (that contains 17 grams of real ginger)

-smelling lemons

-vitamin B6 (50 mg - 3X/day)

-ginger candies

-preggie pops

-sea band (accupressure band)

So my husband was really worried about my food intake and called the doctor and she called in a perscription for zofran for me. I just want to get any and all advice on taking zofran because it will be my last resort. Like I mentioned above, I am willing to try anything else before a perscription pill.

I just had my mom buy me some coral calcium pills from a natural pharmacy in my hometown that she will be shipping to me this week. I've heard coral calcium helps to bind the hormones better than calcium in our prenatals. '

Other info: I take the brand Perfect Prenatals at night before I go to sleep.

HELP PLEASE! THANK YOU LADIES IN ADVANCE!!!

pregnancy
I want to be a breastfeeding, babywearing, roomsharing, cloth diapering, working Momma!
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Go here and answer my questions on reply #9 (if you are open to tying a homeopathic remedy).

http://m.cafemom.com/groups/read_topic.php?group_id=14077&topic_id=17906452
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peera
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I've been told that since the nausea is from hormones, it's not curable by most standard nausea remedies, and to try eating protein instead. 

angela84
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Ya I'm pretty sure there is no cure all. I have definitely been trying to get in some protein shakes here and there. I used to eat 3 egg whites a day as my mid morning snack pre-pregnancy, but I cannot stomach eating something that smells like boiled egg.

Quoting Peera:

I've been told that since the nausea is from hormones, it's not curable by most standard nausea remedies, and to try eating protein instead. 

pregnancy
I want to be a breastfeeding, babywearing, roomsharing, cloth diapering, working Momma!
ColieO
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I ended up with zofran after being hospitalized for dehydration. Nothing else had helped and I was losing a lot of weight. Oh well. It helped me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I took Zofran on my wedding day when I was 16 weeks pregnant. I had such bad morning sickness, a lot like yours. I felt so guilty for taking it, but I knew I wasn't going to make it through the ceremony without getting sick.
For some reason, nuts help me from getting morning sickness. For my first pregnancy, it was peanuts. My second pregnancy, I ate cashews. Everything else just made me ill.
Feel better soon :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schultzal
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I had severe hyperemesis for the first five months or so of my pregnancy. I tried everything you have tried, and then some. I saw a homeopathic treatment provider, tried acupuncture, tried professional accupressure... nothing helped enough to allow me to function. I was in and out of the ER for rehydration and IV meds several times.

Zofran was the last resort, and even it didn't make the sickness go away. It did, however, enable me to do more than lie on the bathroom floor or in bed all day.

If you feel that the sickness is making it difficult to even get through your normal day, I think taking the Zofran is worth it, if nothing else helps.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
I had to be on Zofran and promethazine for my severe HG. I couldn't stop losing weight, went days without any food or liquids, and had multiple hospital admittance for severe dehydration. If nothing else has helped you, then I think it's definitely worth a try.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackieb2811
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I was just prescribed Zofran due to being sick but mine was from 24hour flu I think. But I feel better today so I never went to get it. I don't like taking any medicines that aren't needed as well. Try drinking Carnation drinks they are packed with vitamins but you do need to eat food other than crackers and applesauce. Right now though you are still early and the baby isn't yet getting its nutrients from you yet...Then again it may I cannot remember how far along that is that it starts to get its nutrients from the food you eat that passes through the placenta.

The first trimester is the hardest but once you hit the second you should start feeling much better! I am one of the lucky few who do not get morning sickness and I couldn't be more happy about that! I hope you feel better and you figure out what works for you. My SO mom told me to try sipping coca cola with and upset stomach so I did and if I did feel queezy at all I drank it and it worked!

RochelleFS
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I had severe hg with my 2nd and was nearly hospitalized. B6 shots did the trick for me. With #4 I found the rainbow light prenatal one. Supplements helped prevent nausea. They have a blend of things like probiotics and ginger extract to help with nausea and digestion. I have never taken zofran as my doc didn't recomend it, saying it can potentially cause birth defects.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM
It sounds to me like you have normal morning sickness, so I would tough it out and not take the risk.

I say this as someone who suffered through hyperemesis with my first pregnancy and didn't take anything, although I might have had it been offered.
There's just no reason to with normal morning sickness, even if you have a job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)