Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is she eating enough?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM
  • 10 Replies

So my 13 1/2 month old dd is fed breastmilk, but it's from pumping, not nursing. I was very sick after an emergency C section at 33 weeks, and she was given formula by the hospital while I recovered. She quickly developed a strong prefference for the bottle, complicated by the fact that I have large nipples that she was having trouble latching onto since she was so tiny. I've tried repeatedly to wean her onto the breast exclusively, but she wouldn't even let me offer her my breast after about 4 months, so I still pump every 3 hours all day, from about 9 -11am to 1 or 2am. She drinks like 5 to 8oz of milk roughly every 4 to 5 hours during that time.

Also, normally about an hour after we get up and she's had her bottle, I make us both roast beef or turkey sandwiches(hers is on one slice of bread, but same amount of meat and cheese) on whole grain bread with a little mayo. She'll normally eat about a quarter to 2 thirds of the half sandwich, depending on the day.

I don't usually eat much for lunch, so we normally just snack a little throughout the day on dry cheerios, organic low salt cheese puffs, carrots, apples, mandarin oranges, or whatevers in the fridge and easy to heat up.

Then for dinner we normally have light dinners or pasta. Our most common meal is probably steamed or pan seared chicken breast with rice and frozen carrots/peas. I give Cazzi a bit of each one.

My main concern is that maybe I'm not feeding her enough, as she's pretty small for her age. She's probably around 25lbs or so. She just moved up to the largest setting on our flip diaper covers. I've just seen 6 month olds while out in about that are nearly bigger than she is. And some days she just doesn't end up eating a lot of solid food, even though she's drinking her bottles on time. IS that pretty normal for her age, or should she be eating more?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swmmra
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

If she is gaining and growing (even or her own chart) and 25 lbs really isn't that small for 13 months when you consider changing from an infant seat to toddler is 12 months and 20lbs, then she is eating enough. Remember that her stomach is only about the size of her fist. There are even some studies coming out saying that "we" are feeding our toddlers too much. She will not allow herself to starve, she is in self preservation mode, and will be for the next few years. She will eat when she is hungry. As long as there is growth and weight gain, I wouldn't worry. 

Brandy85412
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM

she seems fine to me. My babies were smaller then that at that age.

jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM
She sounds fine to me. My 15 month old weighs 22 lbs & is in the 50% for weight and height!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM

My 30 something lb toddler still isn't on the largest setting on our flip covers :) and he's tall for his age too.

Cynthje
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I have a tall and skinny 3 year old! She weighs arround 26 pounds at the momen, i know she eats enough cause the kid is a huge eater but she moves a lot and has always been long and lean, she is also ahead in her milestones and very healthy.

I would not worry about it too much

sj3starz
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I wouldn't worry. My dd is just over 20 lbs at 13 months. She gets 16 oz of milk per day and what ever food she wants (barring junk of course). She is eating practically all day, and running around too! She's in the 30th percentile for weight. I'm not too worried with my dd. I think your lo seems ok. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM
She sounds fine to me! And wow, way to go pumping for her all this time!!
My youngest will be 2 in a coupe of weeks and even though he's gigantic he probably doesn't eat any more solids than yours does. He was 4 ounces shy of 30 pounds at 12 months and at that point still only ate a few bites of solids per WEEK. He didn't start eating solids regularly til like 15-18 months.

Anyway, the point is, your baby is the size she's meant to be she doesn't even really sounds particularly small, more like average. And if she were small and it was because she wasn't eating enough, she'd certainly let you know about it! Babies don't go hungry without a major protest :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Yeah that's another thing to keep in mind is that by this age kids are burning off a lot of calories because they're getting more mobile
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kyonarai
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Alright, thank you! I guess I was just worried that since I'm pumping and not nursing on demand that she might not be getting enough.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM
25lbs at 13 months old?? And she was a premie?? She's perfect! :)
My dd was 17lbs at 14 months old and she was 7lbs at birth, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)