Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Peppermint oil question (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM
  • 24 Replies

I have been boiling it on the stove to try and clear up our congestion. I am planning on taking a bath tonight in epsom salts and was thinking about putting peppermint oil in the warm bath water as well. Anyone know if it would be safe/helpful?

Blessed Mommy to: Angel Baby : 07/08/08  Alexander Jayce:05/21/09 Kalea Brielle: 06/03/10 Michael Zachary 09/22/11 Angel Baby: 07/02/12

My adventerous life!

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM
I would say it would so! Maybe you cab even rub some peppermint oil on u too!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HamBergerMama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM

That would be awesome. I need relief bad. this congestion is kicking my butt, and I am so worried about getting pneumonia while pregnant. 

Along these lines, do most health food stores carry Essential Oils? I am more likely to be able to get some if I can work a bottle or two into my monthly cash budget than ordering online and having to pay shipping. 

PoodleMum
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM

If you're nursing it may decrease your milk supply

HamBergerMama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Quoting PoodleMum:

If you're nursing it may decrease your milk supply

Good to know in the future, but DS stopped about a month ago. I can never nurse while pregnant =(

Blessed Mommy to: Angel Baby : 07/08/08  Alexander Jayce:05/21/09 Kalea Brielle: 06/03/10 Michael Zachary 09/22/11 Angel Baby: 07/02/12

My adventerous life!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Heat destroys oils' therapeutic properties. By boiling it you're rendering it useless beyond adding a nice fragrance to your home.
Yes you can add it to a bath salt, but keep in kind it has a heating/cooling effect (think bengay), so you'll end up with that sensation all over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schultzal
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Using essential oils in the bath is great, but be sure to mix it with a carrier oil or even some milk before putting it in the bath water. :)

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM
If you're worried about pneumonia, is your congestion respiratory? Peppermint is awesome for sinus congestion, but rosemary is a better choice for respiratory congestion (do not use if you are prone to seizures or have high blood pressure).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I made that mistake and didn't add it to a carrier before putting it in my sons bath. My hands were tingling like crazy, I wonder how their little bodies felt.

Quoting schultzal:

Using essential oils in the bath is great, but be sure to mix it with a carrier oil or even some milk before putting it in the bath water. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HamBergerMama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Good tip! What ratio? Is olive oil ok?

Quoting hapababies:

I made that mistake and didn't add it to a carrier before putting it in my sons bath. My hands were tingling like crazy, I wonder how their little bodies felt.

Quoting schultzal:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HamBergerMama
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Respiratory and sinus. Good to know about rosemary. I only have peppermint on hand.

My MIL and her family swear by it and she makes sure we always have a bottle:-)

I just realized I didn't add to this post what would have been obvious in my other group. Is it safe to use while pregnant? (26weeks)

Quoting jellyphish:

If you're worried about pneumonia, is your congestion respiratory? Peppermint is awesome for sinus congestion, but rosemary is a better choice for respiratory congestion (do not use if you are prone to seizures or have high blood pressure).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)