Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

foregoing 1st trimester screen?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM
  • 32 Replies

although i have it scheduled for Feb, i'm considering canceling the first trimester screen blood work.  anyone else choose to not have this done?  it's all optional, right?  some advice would be fabulous :)

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I didn't do it because it wouldn't have changed anything for me plus there are so many false positives and I didn't need that added stress.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Isn't that one just to check hcg and iron and such? Why don't you want to do it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM
I had a positive for neural tube defects with my second pregnancy. I went to see a perinatalogist to get an ultrasound and it came out fine.
Turned out that the false positive is also an indicator for when the placenta is not functioning correctly. I had been having some bleeding, and the test had picked up

Sorry to be a Debbie downer, but that was my personal experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amycapl
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM

no i already had that one.  this one is for chromosomal abnormalities and such, i believe.

Quoting jellyphish:

Isn't that one just to check hcg and iron and such? Why don't you want to do it?

Amycapl
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

not a downer at all!  i want any and all info, on both sides of the subject :)

Quoting hapababies:

I had a positive for neural tube defects with my second pregnancy. I went to see a perinatalogist to get an ultrasound and it came out fine.
Turned out that the false positive is also an indicator for when the placenta is not functioning correctly. I had been having some bleeding, and the test had picked up

Sorry to be a Debbie downer, but that was my personal experience.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Oh I thought that wasn't until later. I didn't do that one. I think after doing some reading/conferring I learned it wasn't very accurate.

Quoting Amycapl:

no i already had that one.  this one is for chromosomal abnormalities and such, i believe.

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cynthje
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM

That test isnt all that reliable, it only gives you the chance of your child having something, its one of the tests that i will never have 

Amberleigh81
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:30 PM
I chose not to be screened.

The doctor told me I only needed it "just in case" and they retest for the same issues in the 2ndgarden trimester. "Just in case" is not an option for me!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:09 PM
It's a personal choice really. I've heard they have so many false positives. That is too much stress for me and I wouldn't do it again. If the outcome will be the same then it's really up to you whether you want to do it! =) Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM
3 moms liked this

I do not do it. It is an option.

I had it done with my first two, and for some reason didn't feel right about it, even though I didn't have to pay and the results were fine. My thrid I decided not to, and this one I will not either. I decided this after talking to my mom. My borther was born with downs syndome. I decided one day to pcik her brain and ask her about it. She siad that she never had it done, and was happy that she didn't find out before hand that Seth had downs Syndrome. I think it would have cause a lot of anxiety and stress (and pressure to forego more testing). She was not going top abort, I would never abort. Another big factor for me not going through with it is what else my mom said. She said when Seth was born she got to see him first as a baby, not as a downs syndrome baby....does that make sense? Sometimes we let disabilities get in the way of seeing what a person really is. Our whole family got to enjoy Seth as child for the frist few weeks before they announced that he did indeed have DS (of course my mom and stepdad were eagarly awaiting the results, but I had no idea). Another thing is that babies with DS have a lot of other health issues, such as low muscle tone, which can make breastfeeding difficult. My mom had no idea, but just nurse him like she would with any of us. Some people may look at that and just give up, or even read about it and prepare themselves to bottle feed because breastfeeding a baby with DS can be difficult. 

Anyways, thats my two cents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)