Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Looking for ideas for toddler snacks that are gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and soy-free.

And of course without refined sugar, corn syrups, additives, etc.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything aside from fruits and veggies (with/without a nut butter), eggs, and meats.

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Replies (21-30):
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Homemade hummus?

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I get the dried garbanzo beans and soak them over night, usually about 2 cups. Then I boil a large pot of water and add the beans, cook for 60 min. At 60 min I add a pinch or two of salt and boil for another 10-15 min.

Hummus
In a food processor blend the cooked beans with a cup of the bean water. Add 2-4 cloves garlic, 3 tbs Lemmon juice, 3 tbs tahini, (optional 1 tbs of smoked paprika...so good), 1 ts of salt. Blend together and taste and then adjust accordingly. I'm always playing around with it and adjusting. Sometimes I put cumin in instead of paprika, but the smoked paprika is so good.

We make our own tahini paste too. Roast sesame seeds at 350 for about 10 min, stirring about every 2 min. Let cool for at least 20 min. Put in food processor and add olive oil until it makes a nice paste. Keep in fridge.

Enjoy

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Would you share your hummus recipe? I don't think I've ever had it.

Quoting illegallyblonde:

We make a homemade hummus around the clock at my house and its ds's fav food. Instead of olive oil we add water. Babaganush is also another fav, it's smoked eggplant then mad the same way as hummus. I also have been playing around with fruits and veggies in the dehydrator. We do kale chips and yesterday I dehydrated pieces of squash, I call it squash jerky and my son loves it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Heck yeah! I just made a big batch 2 days ago, mmmmmmm!

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Homemade hummus?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM
The store bought stuff, although tasty, is full of cheap oil (even the "olive oil" ones don't have much olive oil) and preservatives.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Homemade hummus?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM
The store bought stuff, although tasty, is full of cheap oil (even the "olive oil" ones don't have much olive oil) and preservatives.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Homemade hummus?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:10 PM

It depends on the brand. I buy ours from our Co-op, doesn't even have sugar in it. 

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Homemade hummus?

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Hummus doesn't have sugar in it.

Quoting FrumpyMama:

It depends on the brand. I buy ours from our Co-op, doesn't even have sugar in it. 

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Homemade hummus?

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I noticed whenever I would buy hummus my son would have a little rash on his face. Store bought hummus is no comparison to homemade.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Homemade hummus?

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I make a big batch about twice a week. Lol. There are always been soaking at my house.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Homemade hummus?

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM

You would be FLOORED at how many store brands put Sugar in Hummus....found that out when I cut sugar from my diet. 

Quoting illegallyblonde:

Hummus doesn't have sugar in it.

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Homemade hummus?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)