Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Juicing and non organic?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM
  • 17 Replies

I bought a super high end juicer recently (it makes nutbutter too!) and My dh and I want to make juicing a daily part of our lives. SO this can get expensive. I'm wondering what your suggestions would be. Should I avoid all non-organic? I'm really torn. We are on apretty tight budget so I want to make this work, but I also don't want to be drinking straight pesticide. Could I buy the dirty dozen organic and then be ok with buy non organic for the rest of the veggies and fruit? We are part of a co-op that does bulk, and mostly local food, they're produce is better than something like Safeway. WOuld the benefits from juicing outweigh the exposure to non organic foods??

ALso I'm nursing, will juicing start a detox? SHould I just start slow?

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Everything I have read says you can't juice while nursing. All the toxins will be released through your milk. But all my research was done on just juicing. I would think it would depend on frequency and age of baby. I get really sick when I eat pesticides so I personally won't do any conventional produce. You would have to figure out what your comfort level is and what your budget is for produce. 

Magnolia7
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

A juice fast is not recommended when breastfeeding.  However, adding in some daily juicing while still eating other meals is a great idea.  You'll get  lots of concentrated nutrition and micronutrients that will also pass to breastmilk.  (I added some beet juice to up my iron while breastfeeding and ended up with bright pink milk, so that is fun, too.)

I try to buy organic when I can, especially the dirty dozen. Greens and apples are the ones I really try to find organic.  I fill the sink with cool water and vinegar or a veggie wash and soak all fruits/veggies for a few minutes, then non-organics get peeled.

larissalarie
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I donno, I never understood juicing. So much of the nutrition and goodness of fruits & veggies are in the flesh, not the juice.
Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

i agree with this.  the fiber in fruits and veggies slows the metobolism of the sugar.  that is really important when addressing insulin resistance and pancreatic health in general.

Quoting larissalarie:

I donno, I never understood juicing. So much of the nutrition and goodness of fruits & veggies are in the flesh, not the juice.
Bump.

EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM

maybe you could start with the dirty dozen for organic and work your way up? if juicing were just once a day and not the only source of your nutrition i would think the toxin levels would be lower and you would be safe for bf. not sure though. does kellymom say anything on this?

lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

hrm. ok good to know. Baby nurses every 2hours and is 9 months, so Id rather not expose her.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Everything I have read says you can't juice while nursing. All the toxins will be released through your milk. But all my research was done on just juicing. I would think it would depend on frequency and age of baby. I get really sick when I eat pesticides so I personally won't do any conventional produce. You would have to figure out what your comfort level is and what your budget is for produce. 

lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

nothing on kellymom sadly, but I'm with you. I'm going to buy what I can organic and work my way up once i get a feel for things

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

maybe you could start with the dirty dozen for organic and work your way up? if juicing were just once a day and not the only source of your nutrition i would think the toxin levels would be lower and you would be safe for bf. not sure though. does kellymom say anything on this?

EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

if you have a costco membership they have a ton of organic fruits and veggies for cheap too. i've been enjoying not overpaying for my fruits and veggies lately.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

nothing on kellymom sadly, but I'm with you. I'm going to buy what I can organic and work my way up once i get a feel for things

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

NDFanatik
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Quoting larissalarie:

Bump.

The flesh is still in there when you juice- just now in a drink form.  It basically condenses all of the vegetables and fruits into a smaller and easier to take form.  One cup of "juice" could be the equivalent of 5-8 servings of fruits and vegetables.  It's like a super high powered blender that mushes it all up into a juice- flesh and all.

Amy Lynn, Loving wife, Mom to Christopher, Katherine, & Matthew, Natural Childbirth/VBAC & breastfeeding supporter & advocate.

Looking for natural birth support?  Check us out 

NDFanatik
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Juicing is generally considered to be safe while breastfeeding....  as long as it's one meal a day and you are eating other meals in addition to it.  So juicing for breakfast but still eating lunch and supper is perfectly fine and a great way to add in fruits and veggies to your diet.  Just no juice fasting!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN