Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Is There Any Point...?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 27 Replies
I finally called to start my prenatal appointments...can't put it off forever I suppose! Anyway they sent me to have blood drawn before they set up the first appointment.
Now they called me saying my progesterone is a "little low" and want me to start taking supplements. I'm already 9 weeks, so to me it seems a little late and if I were really having an issue, it would have happened by now. I didn't think to ask what the exact number is, so I don't have that info. Anyway, I kinda think it's BS. This is the same doctor I had for my second pregnancy and I was told the same thing with it, although it was a few weeks earlier in the pregnancy and after taking over a year of trying to get pregnant, I was scared and just did what they said.
Anyway, I'm kinda wondering if they just tell all moms this or something since my hormone levels weren't a problem with my pregnancies that weren't seen by this doctor.
So, do you see a point in starting hormone supplements at 9 weeks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM
I don't know. So bump.

But don't be afraid to get a second opinion. Or at least call your dr back and ask for the numbers so you can look it up. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Thx, I'll definitely be calling in the morning.

Quoting jellyphish:

I don't know. So bump.

But don't be afraid to get a second opinion. Or at least call your dr back and ask for the numbers so you can look it up. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a naturopath who swears by progesterone.  Why not get a second opinion by someone outside of "mainstream" medical?

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Talk to your doctor about your concerns
Maybe theyre being overly cautious bc they think thats how you want to be treated
Maybe if you tell them you prefer the least amount of interventions possible theyll back off a little
Couldnt hurt to try anyway
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NDFanatik
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I had a friend who lost her baby at 12wks due to progesterone issues.  Went on to carry next child with prog supplements.  I would at the very least  discuss it and ask the pros and cons to using it and go from there.  Maybe also look into natural alternatives that would support healthy progesterone levels. 

Amy Lynn, Loving wife, Mom to Christopher, Katherine, & Matthew, Natural Childbirth/VBAC & breastfeeding supporter & advocate.

Looking for natural birth support?  Check us out 

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I have no experience or info on this stuff. I would talk to your dr and read more into it?
Good luck. if it's not one thing it's another
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:23 AM
A second opinions always good. People are on progesterone a lot longer than 9 weeks, theres nothing wrone with starting it at this point.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Get a copy of your lab work also if your getting a second opinion.
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Lol, I know you take it longer than 9 weeks, I just think 9 weeks seems late to start, especially since they only want me on it the first trimester.
I guess my understanding of low progesterone was that it's something you want to get on asap, or even before you get pregnant if you know it's an issue, to prevent early miscarriage.

I don't have a problem taking something if I actually need it, I'm just not necessarily convinced I do.

And the issue with a second opinion is going to be getting in to see someone before mid-Feb...that's the soonest anyone else has an opening based on the calling I've done. So yeah, I'm gonna be skipping that! I hate going to doctors.

Quoting Sarah725:

A second opinions always good. People are on progesterone a lot longer than 9 weeks, theres nothing wrone with starting it at this point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

my natuopath says that progesterone therapy has to start when implantation happens or else it doesnt help prevent a miscarriage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)