Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I finally called to start my prenatal appointments...can't put it off forever I suppose! Anyway they sent me to have blood drawn before they set up the first appointment.
Now they called me saying my progesterone is a "little low" and want me to start taking supplements. I'm already 9 weeks, so to me it seems a little late and if I were really having an issue, it would have happened by now. I didn't think to ask what the exact number is, so I don't have that info. Anyway, I kinda think it's BS. This is the same doctor I had for my second pregnancy and I was told the same thing with it, although it was a few weeks earlier in the pregnancy and after taking over a year of trying to get pregnant, I was scared and just did what they said.
Anyway, I'm kinda wondering if they just tell all moms this or something since my hormone levels weren't a problem with my pregnancies that weren't seen by this doctor.
So, do you see a point in starting hormone supplements at 9 weeks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Replies (21-27):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I have friend that has low progesterone when pregnant. She explained it to me this way. Some people can have low progesterone before the placenta attaches and startes functioning. Some may start off with normal progesterone in the beginning and then once the placenta starts functioning they may have low progesterone, and of course some peolle dont deal witg low progesterone....its rare tl have low progresterone in both cases, usually its one or the other. I dont know if thats helpful at all, some doctors are ok with different progesterone ranges as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

This is pretty much what I was going to type!

Quoting Mrs.Salz: I don't know a lot about it but that's my understanding too.
Quoting larissalarie: Lol, I know you take it longer than 9 weeks, I just think 9 weeks seems late to start, especially since they only want me on it the first trimester. I guess my understanding of low progesterone was that it's something you want to get on asap, or even before you get pregnant if you know it's an issue, to prevent early miscarriage.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Quoting tansyflower: progesterone replacement doesnt prevent miscarriages in the way that most people think they would. there are two different issue with low progesterone.  the first issue is that it will prevent proper implantation from occuring.  the secondary issue with low progesterone is that mom's body supplies babies progesterone (which helps them grow) until about 4 months of gestation.  after that point baby starts making its own progesterone and the draw from the mother diminishes. but if implantation does not occur properly in the beginning the transmission of hormones from mother to baby cannot happen fully which will affect their growth and developement.  when you introduce progesterone into the body the mother has to give it to the baby through the umbilical cord via the placenta where the placenta attaches to the uterine wall. that is why progesterone replacement after implantation does not work. so if you have low progesterone and it affects implantation then there is no way for supplemental hormone replacement to uptake through mom to baby.  that is why hormone replacement therapy has to be started within the first few days of ferilization.  implantation occurs 6-10 days post ovulation so there is really only a small window of time for homorne replacement to really make a difference. hope that explination makes sense!  i will be sedning prayers and good thoughts your way.  at this point all you can do is wait it out and let nature take it course!  (((hugs)))

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM
This has nothing to do with your question but... It took you a year to get pregnant with your second child, and this one was conceived while using birth control? That is crazy! No wonder you were so shocked by this, I mean beyond the obvious reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, I know right? It was actually like 14-15 months of no BC & trying, and like 5 months before that of half assing it with condoms while I got off BC and we decided if we were really ready to commit to getting serious about a baby
When you want to get pregnant you can't and when you don't...BAM!

Quoting hapababies:

This has nothing to do with your question but... It took you a year to get pregnant with your second child, and this one was conceived while using birth control? That is crazy! No wonder you were so shocked by this, I mean beyond the obvious reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I just wanted to say congrats I didn't know you were pregnant. 

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Thanks!

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I just wanted to say congrats I didn't know you were pregnant. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)