Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no poo

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM
  • 17 Replies
I haven't used shampoo since Sunday morning. I did use baking soda and ACV today.

I look like a grease ball! I'm trusting the process, but I feel dirty. :/

Anyway, my main question is how often can I use BS/ACV? I workout five times per week, and I just get gross. Is it okay to use BS/ACV that often?

Also curious about how long everyone's transition period lasted. I know we're all different, but I'm curious.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM
I have super dry hair, so I ACV daily and "wash" with BS/Dr. Bronner's maybe every three weeks.

I know even I went through a greasy stage. Mine lasted a few weeks to a month? I can't remember. I started it a few weeks PP so I was a hot mess anyway! :)
Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Oh, and the vinegar should kill the stink. :)
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM
How often did you wash with BS when you started? My plan is to gradually decrease the amount of washes, but I'm not sure I'll be able to stand not washing after working out!

Quoting Amberleigh81:

I have super dry hair, so I ACV daily and "wash" with BS/Dr. Bronner's maybe every three weeks.

I know even I went through a greasy stage. Mine lasted a few weeks to a month? I can't remember. I started it a few weeks PP so I was a hot mess anyway! :)
Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM
About once a week.

I already only washed my hair about once a week when I did use commercial hair products, so it wasn't a big change for me. I used to condition my hair daily, but wash only once a week. I have curly hair, and it would be dry as straw with daily washing.
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. :)

Quoting Amberleigh81:

About once a week.

I already only washed my hair about once a week when I did use commercial hair products, so it wasn't a big change for me. I used to condition my hair daily, but wash only once a week. I have curly hair, and it would be dry as straw with daily washing.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
It's safe to use as often as you need to. If that's daily for you, then daily it is.

My transition period lasted six to eight weeks. But I have hard water and didn't know to add sea salt. Had I done that the transition would have been shorter, I do believe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I do have hard water. Where in the process does salt fit? With the BS or ACV?

Thanks for your help!

Quoting jellyphish:

It's safe to use as often as you need to. If that's daily for you, then daily it is.

My transition period lasted six to eight weeks. But I have hard water and didn't know to add sea salt. Had I done that the transition would have been shorter, I do believe.
MrsKish
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:32 AM

month here i do poo once every week

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Both. Anytime you rinse your hair with hard water, add sea salt.
And honestly, I slowly had to give into the hard water and start shampooing again. The hard water combined with my dry scalp just didn't allow for it, after a few years the hard water won. :( Hopefully you'll have more success than I.
Quoting justone_jen:

I do have hard water. Where in the process does salt fit? With the BS or ACV?

Thanks for your help!

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDFanatik
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I switched to natural shampoos first and did that for a year, so my transition time was easier once I made the leap to no poo.  All in all it took me about 3 weeks.  I find that if I wash my air more often my scalp will work harder to replenish the oils, whereas if I take a week from washing and then only do it every 3-4 days then my scalp reacts better and my hair looks better.  But if you want/need to then you can absolutely use it daily.  I'm a manager at a store so I have to look good and that means my hair as well.  I've found that blowdrying my hair helps it to look less greasy for longer.  Cool air so that I don't get heat damage :)  Ooh and one more thing- I find taht *for me* if I dissolve the bs in water before putting it on my hair then my hair feels better.  Not sure why, but I discovered that on accident, lol- I put it in a peri bottle now, shake in hot water, and squirt it on.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)