Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

high acid levels and a fever in a newborn....what does that mean? UPDATE :( second UPDATE w/ pics FINAL UPDATE! okay....just one more :/

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 28 Replies

so my friend just had a baby at her local hospital.  her dr swept her membranes at 38 weeks and she delivered the same day.  she had an epi and he wasnt turned right so she tore quite badly.  they hlso had to manually remove her placenta because it wouldnt detach.

within 24 hours he developed a high fever and his acid levels were elevated.  the did an echo on his heart and also a spinal tap.  all that they have told her is they think he might have some sort of metobolic disorder....the have put in umbilical lines to moniter his acid levels.  he is in the nicu and has not seen his mama since 2am.

what does any of that even mean?  they wont tell her what kind of metobolic disorder it may be.  has anyone ever experienced this or heard about what could be wrong?  please give me any information you can.  i am struggling to understand all of this right now :(

UPDATE:  they just transfered him to childrens hospital because they couldnt get him stablized.  still no answers :(

UPDATE #2: they still dont know for sure, but they have stabilized his acid levels.  they now think it may have something to do with his intestines not working right.  at this point they are just trying to bring his vitals back down to normal.  i feel so bad for tina....this has got to be incredibly stressful.  as a mom i cant even imagine.  she has asked for as many prayers as possible for baby titus! 

ooookay.  so the good news is titus is finally home!  at first they thought it was a metobolic disorder, then something with his intestines.  finally diagnosis was he was severely dehydrated which was causing his elevated acid levels.  when he was born, he was born "too fast" and face up and they said he swallowed a bunch of fluid which caused him to start throwing up.  he wouldnt stop throwing up which made him dehydrated.  they finally got him hydrated and stable.  he was getting bottles for the past three days but he did finally latch this morning for tina (thank god) and hopefully he wont have any repercussions from having a bottle so early. 

although i am so glad that he is doing better there is a part of me that is very angry at the interventions that led to this issue in the first place.  i wish that more parents were aware of what issues inductions and epidurals can cause before agreeing to them.  i am trying to let that go and focus on supporting mom and i pray that their breastfeeding relationship wont be compromised over this whole situation.  thank you all for the prayers and support! 

now his dr wants to re-admit him because of his jaundance.....well DUH of course he is jaundance he hasnt eaten in three days!  they havent even offered her a bili blanket to take home.  she is totally freaked out and has reached her limits.  i feel so badly for her :'(

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I have no idea, how very sad.
Hopefully the doctors are wrong and it's just some fixable problem from being born early.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM

i really have no idea if his induction had anything to do with what is wrong with him or not :(

Quoting larissalarie:

Hopefully the doctors are wrong and it's just some fixable problem from being born early.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Probably not, but that would be better than a metabolic condition.

Quoting tansyflower:

i really have no idea if his induction had anything to do with what is wrong with him or not :(

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:59 AM
When hes stable id look into Hazelwood
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM
How sad, idk anything about that
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Im just guessing but it sounds like the placenta was insufficient and didnt provide enough nutrients causing ketosis
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I've no idea. How very sad for that mama. :(

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't want to come off sounding like a horrible person, but this is why I am so against inductions and forcing birth early. This might of been something that could of been cured by him staying in until 40 weeks, but it also may not of been. These things are so hard to call.

I have no answer just that I hope to heaven he makes it. 

destiny2nv
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM
awe :( please keep us update
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM
:-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)