Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

home water birth.

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 6 Replies

I am Kaila 21 and I have planned a home water birth. I haven't done to much research on it I've just knew i wanted a home water birth. Do you have anything that you liked about it and things I should know?

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kristin0728
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I have a great midwife and am planning my first home waterbirth! Good for you for doing it right the first time! I was 19 when I had my daughter in a hospital that offered waterbirth. Of course, being at a hospital, drugs were highly advocated and I was not educated. 

Do you have a midwife? I love mine so much and her daughter is a midwife too. She teaches a birthing class. I'm also taking a birthing class at the local hospital through state insurance. I want to be prepared as possible.

The one thing I've been told and have learned from experience, the moment you say "I cant do it anymore" or "I want drugs", thats when its almost over. lol

I have several reasons for doing a home birth.

1. I labor fast. My first sign of labor is my water breaking. I do not have pre-labor, I dive straight into transition. This is rare and crazy because prelaboring gets you to 4 or 5 centimeters, so when your water breaks and intense labor begins, you are usually prepared, at a hospital or have your homebirth set up and all you have to do is go another 5 or 6 centimeters. I do not dialate before my water breaks. My daughter was born in less than 3 hours. My son was born in about an hour and twenty minutes. So you can imagine the panic I went through trying to get to the hospital. I highly doubt you will go through anything like this, but dive into your family birthing history so you can get an idea of what you might go through. No one told me my family labors like this. Thanks mom!

2. I don't vaccinate my children. I had nurses in the hospital tell me I was "killing" my baby by skipping the vitamin k and hep b shots. I had to kick several nurses out of my room for harrassment. My son was worse. I had a nurse who, every time she was on shift, she would try to take my son out of my room and to the nursery while I was sleeping. I clearly told each staff member I NEVER wanted my son in the nursery. She was also one that told me I would regret my decision when my child died. I also had a pediatrician REFUSE to see my son in the hospital. She said she would not check his health until I vaccinated him and got the vitamin k shot. She tried calling CPS on me. They interviewed me in the hospital, one of them stating, "We just want to make sure you WANT your baby and you know how to care for him" WOW not having that happen again

Whats great about my midwife is she doesn't vaccinate either. She is an advocate for delayed cord clamping and respects my decisions. Learn about all these things so that you know whats going on. 

My best advice: Know what hospital procedures are! If something happens and you have to be transfered, know how to deal with the hospital. If you have to go there, they have standards that they will not inform you of and you may not know to protest. They may even do somethings wether you like it or not. I told a nurse I didn't want an antibiotic drip and she said "TOO BAD".  My midwife tells all her patients this because it is a whole different world and it can be shocking.

My midwife's best adive: SLEEP as much as you can before intense labor hits! You may be excited and want to stay up, or it could be difficult to sleep. But DO IT. Keep friends and family away as much as possible until the very end. She tells us that some women will invite friends over at the first sign of contractions, stay up all night from excitement and by the time they get to the intense part, they are exhausted. She estimates that 90% of hospital transfers are because the mother is too exhausted to give birth. They wind up being given and epidural in the hospital, being practically asleep for most, if not all, of the laboring and baby is born to a tired, exhausted, drugged up mom who cannot fully enjoy the moment. 

So please, share why you chose homebirth! Tell us more about you! 

VladimirsMama
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I have picked home water birth because my mom has me at home on a water bed and she has always told me the story. Water calms and relaxs me so I thought it would be a great thing to do

I do have a midwife she is perfect and agrees with everything I want for me and Vladimir

Quoting Kristin0728:

I have a great midwife and am planning my first home waterbirth! Good for you for doing it right the first time! I was 19 when I had my daughter in a hospital that offered waterbirth. Of course, being at a hospital, drugs were highly advocated and I was not educated. 

Do you have a midwife? I love mine so much and her daughter is a midwife too. She teaches a birthing class. I'm also taking a birthing class at the local hospital through state insurance. I want to be prepared as possible.

The one thing I've been told and have learned from experience, the moment you say "I cant do it anymore" or "I want drugs", thats when its almost over. lol

I have several reasons for doing a home birth.

1. I labor fast. My first sign of labor is my water breaking. I do not have pre-labor, I dive straight into transition. This is rare and crazy because prelaboring gets you to 4 or 5 centimeters, so when your water breaks and intense labor begins, you are usually prepared, at a hospital or have your homebirth set up and all you have to do is go another 5 or 6 centimeters. I do not dialate before my water breaks. My daughter was born in less than 3 hours. My son was born in about an hour and twenty minutes. So you can imagine the panic I went through trying to get to the hospital. I highly doubt you will go through anything like this, but dive into your family birthing history so you can get an idea of what you might go through. No one told me my family labors like this. Thanks mom!

2. I don't vaccinate my children. I had nurses in the hospital tell me I was "killing" my baby by skipping the vitamin k and hep b shots. I had to kick several nurses out of my room for harrassment. My son was worse. I had a nurse who, every time she was on shift, she would try to take my son out of my room and to the nursery while I was sleeping. I clearly told each staff member I NEVER wanted my son in the nursery. She was also one that told me I would regret my decision when my child died. I also had a pediatrician REFUSE to see my son in the hospital. She said she would not check his health until I vaccinated him and got the vitamin k shot. She tried calling CPS on me. They interviewed me in the hospital, one of them stating, "We just want to make sure you WANT your baby and you know how to care for him" WOW not having that happen again

Whats great about my midwife is she doesn't vaccinate either. She is an advocate for delayed cord clamping and respects my decisions. Learn about all these things so that you know whats going on. 

My best advice: Know what hospital procedures are! If something happens and you have to be transfered, know how to deal with the hospital. If you have to go there, they have standards that they will not inform you of and you may not know to protest. They may even do somethings wether you like it or not. I told a nurse I didn't want an antibiotic drip and she said "TOO BAD".  My midwife tells all her patients this because it is a whole different world and it can be shocking.

My midwife's best adive: SLEEP as much as you can before intense labor hits! You may be excited and want to stay up, or it could be difficult to sleep. But DO IT. Keep friends and family away as much as possible until the very end. She tells us that some women will invite friends over at the first sign of contractions, stay up all night from excitement and by the time they get to the intense part, they are exhausted. She estimates that 90% of hospital transfers are because the mother is too exhausted to give birth. They wind up being given and epidural in the hospital, being practically asleep for most, if not all, of the laboring and baby is born to a tired, exhausted, drugged up mom who cannot fully enjoy the moment. 

So please, share why you chose homebirth! Tell us more about you! 

Kristin0728
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Thats awesome. I love that my midwife hugs me everytime i see her. I LOVE this new relationship i am experiencing with the woman who will deliver my child. It was NEVER this way with any of the OBGYN's I saw for my first two. I felt like thier paycheck. Just another woman with a belly that needed testing and diagnosing. 

My midwife mentioned that to me too. I LOVE water, and she said I would also LOVE waterbirth. 

It sounds like you may know a little more than me. Maybe we can ask eachother questions and for advice and find answers together! 

H.I.S.
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I had a birth center water birth - it was amazing to be able to move so freely. However, make sure that you are in active labor before you get in the tub, or else it can slow labor down.

As far as delivery goes, babies born in the water tend to look more blue than babies born on land so don't freak out if that happens - baby will pink right up.

Stay hydrated, have a good birth team that will know when to leave you alone and when to support you, and your body & baby will take care of the rest :)

Good luck!

Lilypie - (VOWJ)

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM
I loved my water birth. The warmth of the water really helped me relax.

My funniest/best advice is to include a small fish net in your birth kit, for any potential floaties! I was really worried about those, had my net ready but didn't have to use it! Whew!!

Also I prepared my bed just incase I didn't like the water or needed a break. Sheet, plastic sheet, old sheet I wouldn't mind tossing. Even thought I didn't use it for birthing it was nice to know it was protected when I crawled into it afterwards :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I was in hard labor in the tub (hospital birth).  Baby's heartrate dropped dramatically, from 160 to 50, so I had to get out...  The OB FREAKED OUT and wanted to break my water to speed up the labor, but I refused and as soon as baby and I switched positions, his heartbeat came back up...  I was bummed because the water really did soothe me, but baby was the decision maker!

I'm sure your midwife will keep an eye on your baby's heartrate.  And don't be worried if the heartrate dips or spikes--generally a change of position will help...  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN