Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Whats the point of gd test?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 23 Replies
Dr and nurses are upset that i dont want it. I feel fine baby is fine i eat healthy and am taking care of myself best i can. My last appnt at 29+2 i measured 32 weeks...dr sd big baby and walked out. His assistant sd cld be big baby or wrong lmp. Either way he sounds healthy and is very active. Has his dads big nose and head...ouch but everything looked great at 20wk scan and the elective. If i take the damn test to make everyone shut up i have to fast be pricked 3x and have a busy 5yo w me. What if it comes back fine and im just farther ahead. Theyre making it seem like im harming my son by not doing this. If i test positive it gives him a legit reason to insist on c sec which i do not want. He schedules them like lunch dates crazy...
I go back next fri. Hes going to ask again why i havent done it. And do a pap...yay.
Hubby refuses to let me go w o a dr or do home birth i know i only have a handful of weeks left but im not looking forward to more visits w him.
Also.... Help w my birth plan....what do i put in it?
Tia!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Uncontrolled gd is harmful to babies and many women don't feel symptoms.  How knowledgeable are you on your own blood sugar?  If you've never had it tested or don't know much about blood sugar I would look into testing your blood sugar periodically throughout the day with a glucose meter rather than the glucose tolerance test.

Why are you having a Pap at 30 weeks?  If it comes back abnormal (which is more likely during pregnancy) then they won't be doing much until the baby is born anyways.  If you're due for one (it's been more than 3 years) then get one at your 6 week post partum check.

Why does your husband have the ultimate say in your health decisions?  It's one thing to listen to concerns but we are all in charge of our own bodies.  If you want a OB and a hospital birth that's fine but please don't say you're not allowed to have one because your husband says so.  If you don't want more visits with him then switch to another OB though you're not likely to find one that will be okay with not taking the glucose tolerance test.

Search the groups posts for examples of birth plans, there are several women who have asked that question or shared their birth plan.  If you have specific questions please feel free to ask.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:52 PM
The "point" is to detect if your sugar is outta control. That can be extremely harmful to you and your baby depending on how severe it is, and it's not an illness you can "feel".  
Getting your finger pricked isn't that painful or more difficult because of a 5 year old child.
And just like you're refusing the GD test, you can also refuse a c section/induction if they pull the "big baby" excuse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ekh2010
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I was told they wld draw vials of blood. When not pregnant my blood sugar is normal. Im agreeing w my husband about the dr and hosp birth bcuz he had a tramatic experience when his little brother died as a baby. Im trying to not send him over the edge. This is my first baby -5yo my dsd id rather just watch my own blood sugar and diet than have someone put me in a certain box

Quoting larissalarie:

The "point" is to detect if your sugar is outta control. That can be extremely harmful to you and your baby depending on how severe it is, and it's not an illness you can "feel".  
Getting your finger pricked isn't that painful or more difficult because of a 5 year old child.
And just like you're refusing the GD test, you can also refuse a c section/induction if they pull the "big baby" excuse.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM

okay i was borderline gd with both my pregnancies so this is what i know.....

it is important to have your sugars tested.  i do not reccomend the normal glucose test given to woman because it is innaccurate.  the best way to assess you blood sugar is to get a glucose moniter and start a daily food log.  test 4 times a day.  take a fasting blood sugar reading in the am when you first get up and one 2 hours after bk/lunch/dinner.  make sure you wash your hands REALLY well and let them dry for 5 minutes before you test.  when you poke yourself wipe the first drop of blood off and use the second drop.  this will help avoid false readings.

if you chart your food and test for a week you will be able to take that info to your dr or midwife so they can assess it.  this is THE most accurate way to tell what is going on with your sugar level.

as for the big baby thing there are lots of reasons for measuring large.  i measured a full 6 weeks ahead with my second child and my midwife was so freaked out she forced me to get an ultrasound to check for twins.  turns out my fundus was attached superior at the top of my uterus.  after i gave birth she told me it was the thickest fundus she had ever seen.  big baby/measuring large is FINE as long as your blood sugar is under control.

please dont ignore testing, just test on your terms.  the more information you have the better and the last thing you want is for your baby to go into a diabetic coma or be born early with undeveloped lungs.  those are serious risks that can easily be avoided!

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Hehe, that's why it's called "gestational" diabetes, it's pregnancy induced and your blood sugar is normally fine when you aren't pregnant. If your sugar weren't usually fine, you'd be a regular diabetic.
Yes, I think they do draw vials now that you mention, but I still don't see what having a 5 year old along would be problematic to doing that. The kid is 5!

If you can monitor your own blood sugar because you have the equipment at home to do that, then that's great. Just don't assume that you don't have it because you feel ok and your sugar is fine when you aren't pregnant. Odds are you don't have it anyway, but there's no harm to you or baby from checking and if you do, changing your diet to manage it can have a big benefit.

Quoting ekh2010:

I was told they wld draw vials of blood. When not pregnant my blood sugar is normal. Im agreeing w my husband about the dr and hosp birth bcuz he had a tramatic experience when his little brother died as a baby. Im trying to not send him over the edge. This is my first baby -5yo my dsd id rather just watch my own blood sugar and diet than have someone put me in a certain box

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Great info!

And so true about measuring big. My little sister was measuring up to 10 weeks ahead at times with both of her pregnancies, they checked for twins a few times, her kids were 5 lbs & 7 lbs! It's just how her body carries them.
I on the other hand measure normal and have gigantic kiddos. Go figure!

Quoting tansyflower:

it is important to have your sugars tested.  i do not reccomend the normal glucose test given to woman because it is innaccurate.  the best way to assess you blood sugar is to get a glucose moniter and start a daily food log.  test 4 times a day.  take a fasting blood sugar reading in the am when you first get up and one 2 hours after bk/lunch/dinner.  make sure you wash your hands REALLY well and let them dry for 5 minutes before you test.  when you poke yourself wipe the first drop of blood off and use the second drop.  this will help avoid false readings.

if you chart your food and test for a week you will be able to take that info to your dr or midwife so they can assess it.  this is THE most accurate way to tell what is going on with your sugar level.

as for the big baby thing there are lots of reasons for measuring large.  i measured a full 6 weeks ahead with my second child and my midwife was so freaked out she forced me to get an ultrasound to check for twins.  turns out my fundus was attached superior at the top of my uterus.  after i gave birth she told me it was the thickest fundus she had ever seen.  big baby/measuring large is FINE as long as your blood sugar is under control.

please dont ignore testing, just test on your terms.  the more information you have the better and the last thing you want is for your baby to go into a diabetic coma or be born early with undeveloped lungs.  those are serious risks that can easily be avoided!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graycalico
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM
It is vials. Are they wanting you to do the three hour test? That's four vials. If so, maybe agreeing to do the one hour one first is a good compromise. If your numbers are high you can then have the three hour.

Quoting ekh2010:

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

the reason both my midwife and i feel that getting a monitor and doing daily food logs and testing is better is because unlike a test that is done only once, this gives a much better overall picture of what is going on with your body.  it also helps the practitioner pinpoint specific areas that the patient can change.  for me i found out that white rice ALWAYS made my blood sugars high so i avoided it completely.  i also found out that if i had a snack before bed that was protein based it mad my fasting blood sugar lower than normal.  the best way for a mom to manage her GD is through dietary changes.  it is a great assessment tool and you just cant get that kind of insight from a single test!

Quoting larissalarie:

Great info!

And so true about measuring big. My little sister was measuring up to 10 weeks ahead at times with both of her pregnancies, they checked for twins a few times, her kids were 5 lbs & 7 lbs! It's just how her body carries them.
I on the other hand measure normal and have gigantic kiddos. Go figure!

Quoting tansyflower:

Mrs.Salz
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Think of your birth plan as your birth preferences - what are looking for from your birth? Are there newborn procedures you want to decline, things like monitoring and vaginal exams that you want to limit, are you open to medication, etc.

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM

If they think there are signs of gd, then you should do the test. I know it's an inconvenience with a 5yr old there, but it's better safe than sorry in this case.  Also if you do come back positive, they are going to send you to a nutritionist who is going to help you plan healthier meals, etc. They aren't/shouldn't send you into insulin shots right away.  They usually try to get it under control with your diet first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)