Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dr and nurses are upset that i dont want it. I feel fine baby is fine i eat healthy and am taking care of myself best i can. My last appnt at 29+2 i measured 32 weeks...dr sd big baby and walked out. His assistant sd cld be big baby or wrong lmp. Either way he sounds healthy and is very active. Has his dads big nose and head...ouch but everything looked great at 20wk scan and the elective. If i take the damn test to make everyone shut up i have to fast be pricked 3x and have a busy 5yo w me. What if it comes back fine and im just farther ahead. Theyre making it seem like im harming my son by not doing this. If i test positive it gives him a legit reason to insist on c sec which i do not want. He schedules them like lunch dates crazy...
I go back next fri. Hes going to ask again why i havent done it. And do a pap...yay.
Hubby refuses to let me go w o a dr or do home birth i know i only have a handful of weeks left but im not looking forward to more visits w him.
Also.... Help w my birth plan....what do i put in it?
Tia!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
Cynthje
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Im not in the US and the GD test like its done in the US does not exist here, if there is cause for concern a mon can get tested over multiple days like one of the other ladies posted. I have never been tested for it at all.

Measuring ahead doesnt have to mean a large baby or GD at all, it can be influenced by many things like how its measure, position of the baby etc.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM
There are tests out there where you do noy have to take the sugar drink, but just have a normal specified breakfast. Mosy obs either dont know about or maye not approve of it, but a midwife should know. I would search for a midwife and just see if your dh will atleast talk with one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM

He called YOU- his PAYING CUSTOMER and EMPLOYER- a "big baby"? I don't think, any birth plan or doula could save you from a horrible outcome with this practice, no matter what. If he is section and induction happy, he will manipulate you and harass you endlessly. That is NOT what you want during labor. This link is about the glucose test. 

Cynthje
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be looking for a different provider ASAP if i were you

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:02 PM

You have 100% say over what happens to your body at ALL times! Ours is the ONLY industrialized country that does this test and has one of the highest maternal death rates. We are constantly putting fear into women needlessly! 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17398524/Informed_Consent

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I got my finger pricked a few times during pregnancy, just to be on the safe side.  One about 30 weeks, on about 35 weeks, and one upon labor at 42 weeks.  They all came back in the "normal" range.  Everyone just wanted to be sure....  And no one tried to force a blood test on me--just the simple diabetic finger prick test.

Even with the testing, DS was born with exceptionally low levels of glucose and was in NICU for a few days.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Lol, I think he's saying the baby gestating in her womb is large since she's measuring larger than her dates (which is a whole different kinda stupid)
I don't think the doctor called her a big baby.

Quoting louzannalady:

He called YOU- his PAYING CUSTOMER and EMPLOYER- a "big baby"? I don't think, any birth plan or doula could save you from a horrible outcome with this practice, no matter what. If he is section and induction happy, he will manipulate you and harass you endlessly. That is NOT what you want during labor. This link is about the glucose test. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Lol! That is why I was astonished and asking... I have heard A LOT worse from OB/GYN's mouth. I had a lady in a forum the other day, asking how to write a release, because her doctor wanted her to write one to "take responsibility" for her choice to not induce (big baby situation, as in suspected fetal macrosomia...), in case her baby died or had shoulder dystocia. Holy cow... The things you hear if you are in the birthing community long enough, right? 

Quoting larissalarie:

Lol, I think he's saying the baby gestating in her womb is large since she's measuring larger than her dates (which is a whole different kinda stupid)

Quoting louzannalady:

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Yeah that's sad. Sad that providers bully and intimidate their patients and sad that patients have litigated so much that doctors are scared into behaving that way.

Quoting louzannalady:

Lol! That is why I was astonished and asking... I have heard A LOT worse from OB/GYN's mouth. I had a lady in a forum the other day, asking how to write a release, because her doctor wanted her to write one to "take responsibility" for her choice to not induce (big baby situation, as in suspected fetal macrosomia...), in case her baby died or had shoulder dystocia. Holy cow... The things you hear if you are in the birthing community long enough, right? 

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting louzannalady:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mitzi31
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM

I had friend almost lose a baby due to GD. Hers was bad and out of control. Don''t know details just know it was cause of GD getiing bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)