Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm 38 weeks today, according to a size guess from an ultrasound when I was about 23 weeks. I've always measured exactly what I am since then and have been doing great. I got a blood test last week that said my platelets were low and dr is suggesting inducing soon. Idk how to naturally increase them quickly! HELP! Is there any essential oil or something that will raise them in just a few days? I've been searching online all day!
I don't want to be chemically induced at all! I also don't want to put my baby or myself at risk so any help is good. Should we get to the "dangerously low" level what are the most natural ways to try to move labor along. I've been having some contractions and am a little dialated. So sex, walking, lots of water nipple stimulations... What about sweeping the membranes? I've heard it can hurt but if labors already started it can help it progress faster...
Sorry this is so long, I'm scared.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Replies (11-13):
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Thanks so much!

Yes - I've found that out a little too late in the game. At the beginning she seemed very willing to do whatever I wanted now it's all about baby getting here soon and whatnot. I'm sorry if I'm an inconvenience to you but I can tell you that the nurses in L&D would LOVE to catch baby! They all talk about how they always get a little excited when dr's running late :)

I told my husband I might just walk out if she gets stupid. :) 

Quoting littlelambe2:

Nope. My doctor applied traction on the cord and also massaged my uterus through my abdomen to help the placenta detach. With my first birth, placenta took about 45 mins. This last birth it took about 25 mins. I am afraid to get any drugs because I'm highly sensitive to them!! Just remember, it's your body, your choice. If I was hemorrhaging badly, I would consent to pitocin. But I completely trust my doctor to make that call. And I know I would be informed before he administered it. 

135 is completely safe. If you drop below 100, there could be cause for concern. When my doc and I discussed it, he told me that above 100 was fine. 

My platelet levels from my hospital records:

first check while pregnant approx 1 month: 146

check on my due date: 130

check upon hospital admittance at 9 days past edd: 125

hospital records indicate MILD thrombocytopenia with no other symptoms. My doc practices evidence based medicine so I trust if it was a problem, he would say so. Sounds like you might have an induction happy provider?

Quoting Momma2013:

135 last week. When yours were that low did you have to take pitocin or anything after birth?

Quoting littlelambe2:

Absolutely no reason to induce because of low platelets. I have had low platelets with each of my pregnancies. It is fairly common, and not dangerous unless you go very low. It's last pregnancy, my platelets hovered around 130. They just tested them every other month and upon admittance at the hospital to make sure they didn't nosedive. The main risk of low platelets is more bleeding and possible hemorrhage after birth. A csection would be dangerous. Do you know what your number is? Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to increase platelet count. Mine returned back to normal by my 6 week pp checkup. 

littlelambe2
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

No inconvenience at all. Glad I could help you out!

Quoting Momma2013:

Thanks so much!

Yes - I've found that out a little too late in the game. At the beginning she seemed very willing to do whatever I wanted now it's all about baby getting here soon and whatnot. I'm sorry if I'm an inconvenience to you but I can tell you that the nurses in L&D would LOVE to catch baby! They all talk about how they always get a little excited when dr's running late :)

I told my husband I might just walk out if she gets stupid. :) 

Quoting littlelambe2:

Nope. My doctor applied traction on the cord and also massaged my uterus through my abdomen to help the placenta detach. With my first birth, placenta took about 45 mins. This last birth it took about 25 mins. I am afraid to get any drugs because I'm highly sensitive to them!! Just remember, it's your body, your choice. If I was hemorrhaging badly, I would consent to pitocin. But I completely trust my doctor to make that call. And I know I would be informed before he administered it. 

135 is completely safe. If you drop below 100, there could be cause for concern. When my doc and I discussed it, he told me that above 100 was fine. 

My platelet levels from my hospital records:

first check while pregnant approx 1 month: 146

check on my due date: 130

check upon hospital admittance at 9 days past edd: 125

hospital records indicate MILD thrombocytopenia with no other symptoms. My doc practices evidence based medicine so I trust if it was a problem, he would say so. Sounds like you might have an induction happy provider?

Quoting Momma2013:

135 last week. When yours were that low did you have to take pitocin or anything after birth?

Quoting littlelambe2:

Absolutely no reason to induce because of low platelets. I have had low platelets with each of my pregnancies. It is fairly common, and not dangerous unless you go very low. It's last pregnancy, my platelets hovered around 130. They just tested them every other month and upon admittance at the hospital to make sure they didn't nosedive. The main risk of low platelets is more bleeding and possible hemorrhage after birth. A csection would be dangerous. Do you know what your number is? Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to increase platelet count. Mine returned back to normal by my 6 week pp checkup. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)