Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

sick dog; Little update

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM
  • 28 Replies

My mom has a 2/3 yr old chocolate lab who is very sick right now. They went through this last year, spent over 1000 dollars at the vet. My stepdad is unemployed and they have no money for the vet. They took her in last week and payed 200 for iv and antinausea meds. It helped her for that day and thats it. Before she was puking and had diahrrea. Now she refuses to eat and is extremely weak. They cant afford testjng or to take her back to the vet. She tried apple cider vinegar but she would not take it. I suggestes maube peppermint oil or something else. Does anyone have an ideas on how to naturallu treat her? They are afriad she may die.

Update:

So Mocha (the dog) is still having problems. My mom has tried several things. She has given her rice, I believe some eggs (I believe she has kepty down the rice before). Seh changed the food to grain free, and Mocha could not keep that down. She has ben drinking, but mostly refuses to eat, and still had trouble keeping it down when she does. She has gotten really thin, and is still pretty weak. My mom is afraid that she may have blockage, but they can't afford to pay for any tests etc (my fil is unemplyed, my mom takes care of their special needs son....touch situation). Anyways, last year she had this issue and was better i a few days after an IV, they did tests that came back I believe as only a some sort of stomach issue (like maybe a virus or something). So, I dont' know what else they can do. she is such a young dog though :(

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Hey girl, I used to be a head vet tech at a holistic animal hospital. Tell them to get Georges aloe (its tastes just like water) and give her 3 oz to help her nausea. And to change her food. She may be having an allergy to it. It will cause digestive upset, nausea and vomiting. Tell them to get her on something grain free.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Also, ask them to pull her skin up on her back (within 2 seconds) if it goes right back she's fine but if it stays up she is dehydrated and will need fluid or they can try force feeding her water with an oral syringe.
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM

ok I will ask, they use a very specific dog food, (from trader joes) because she has tummy issues (I forgot the name, but it was something she was born with). She gets sick on other dog food, maybe its time for another change? Right now she is refusing her food, I don't think she has had her dog food in like a week, I think they tried baby food meet mixed in her water though).

skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Tell them to try scrambled eggs, or even raw eggs. Honestly dogs really can eat raw meat without it affecting.them. their bodies are made to neutralize salmonella and ecoli. They descend from wolves and.that's what wolves eat. :-) I hope my info.will help her.
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Quoting skylarkdancer:

Tell them to try scrambled eggs, or even raw eggs. Honestly dogs really can eat raw meat without it affecting.them. their bodies are made to neutralize salmonella and ecoli. They descend from wolves and.that's what wolves eat. :-) I hope my info.will help her.

ok, thats I will see if my mom will try eggs!

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
thundersky
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Honey might help settle her digestive track.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Will she take some chicken broth? Maybe try that. Then next time add some chicken into the broth.
If your trying to give apple cider vinager, put it in her water. A little bit, then next time increase it a little more, Ect. (like a couple drops more at a time) I use Apple cider vinager in my dogs water to prevent fleas.

That's what the vet recommended when my dog gets like that, she doesn't have a chronic problem though. She's a lab mix.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Plain hamburger and rice is what our vet suggests for everything (sick, pregnant/nursing moms, etc it's easy to digest and has good calories)

You can also gently push on the gums much like you would push a humans finger to check for hydration levels.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Pumpkin. In a can. And boiled chicken.
justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Have they tried a raw diet?

Quoting Precious333:

ok I will ask, they use a very specific dog food, (from trader joes) because she has tummy issues (I forgot the name, but it was something she was born with). She gets sick on other dog food, maybe its time for another change? Right now she is refusing her food, I don't think she has had her dog food in like a week, I think they tried baby food meet mixed in her water though).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN