Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom has a 2/3 yr old chocolate lab who is very sick right now. They went through this last year, spent over 1000 dollars at the vet. My stepdad is unemployed and they have no money for the vet. They took her in last week and payed 200 for iv and antinausea meds. It helped her for that day and thats it. Before she was puking and had diahrrea. Now she refuses to eat and is extremely weak. They cant afford testjng or to take her back to the vet. She tried apple cider vinegar but she would not take it. I suggestes maube peppermint oil or something else. Does anyone have an ideas on how to naturallu treat her? They are afriad she may die.

Update:

So Mocha (the dog) is still having problems. My mom has tried several things. She has given her rice, I believe some eggs (I believe she has kepty down the rice before). Seh changed the food to grain free, and Mocha could not keep that down. She has ben drinking, but mostly refuses to eat, and still had trouble keeping it down when she does. She has gotten really thin, and is still pretty weak. My mom is afraid that she may have blockage, but they can't afford to pay for any tests etc (my fil is unemplyed, my mom takes care of their special needs son....touch situation). Anyways, last year she had this issue and was better i a few days after an IV, they did tests that came back I believe as only a some sort of stomach issue (like maybe a virus or something). So, I dont' know what else they can do. she is such a young dog though :(

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM
No they havent


Quoting justone_jen:

Have they tried a raw diet?



Quoting Precious333:

ok I will ask, they use a very specific dog food, (from trader joes) because she has tummy issues (I forgot the name, but it was something she was born with). She gets sick on other dog food, maybe its time for another change? Right now she is refusing her food, I don't think she has had her dog food in like a week, I think they tried baby food meet mixed in her water though).


Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Thanks everyone. I will pass on the info
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ameraznkimko
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM
When they took her to the vet the first time what did they say she had? Right now it's very important that she keeps hydrated..even if it is forcing water down with a syringe...bland diet is the best right now..I work at a clinic and the vet always recommends rice and chicken..I know that vets can be very expensive but if she gets worse they will need to take her In..even the simple things like IV fluids can help tremendously...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Hope some of the info you got will help

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Poor puppy, it really sucks wish I had some ideas besides see a vet

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM
I know.....i told my mom she may have to give her up to someone who can take her to the vet.....if anyone ia willing. It seema like that or let her die. I was crying all mornjng, she is like a familt member to us! She is such a sweet, gentle and obedient dog!


Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Poor puppy, it really sucks wish I had some ideas besides see a vet


Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM

That sounds like parvo. We lost one dog to that and other we spent a good deal of money for her to get well, and then the ungrateful thing ran away. With the one that died the tests came back negative, but I'm sure that's what she had after I read some more about it. She would get better and then get worse again. Finally we had her put down because the vet couldn't tell us what she had and she was just so sick. :(

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM

 


Quoting ameraznkimko:

When they took her to the vet the first time what did they say she had? Right now it's very important that she keeps hydrated..even if it is forcing water down with a syringe...bland diet is the best right now..I work at a clinic and the vet always recommends rice and chicken..I know that vets can be very expensive but if she gets worse they will need to take her In..even the simple things like IV fluids can help tremendously...

first time just some sort of stomach virus, she was fine w/i a few days, after IVs were done. She had IVs this time within the first few days of her sickness, still vomiting food after 2 weeks I think its been. She's really skinny, but isn't severly dehydrated anymore.

 

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Is the food she's on chicken based? if it is and her original food was also chicken based she needs to be on something that has something completely different as the meat. If they eat the same food for a long time theynwill become sensitive to the main ingredients. Specifically. The meats. And/or grains. I know u said she is on grain free now which is great but it may still have the same protien in it as the original food. Also the aloe I mentioned earlier will truly help with settling her stomach and soothe her gut. Its just like putting aloe on a burn but for the insides.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)