Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Bw back carry question

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM
  • 9 Replies
I'm trying to master back carrying in my mei tai. I tried putting hera in it all nice and high today and she liked it, and I liked it, and while it was more comfy than how I was doing it before, it still hurts. So I'm considering getting a ssc. All the pics I've ever seen of someone back carrying with an ssc, though, are not high like I've seen with the MTs and wraps. Is there an ssc that carries babe high?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MrsKish
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

MT's are better for high carrys. do you have pic of the carrier  you were using ?
how ols is your lo where are  you feeling pain? 

Quoting jellyphish:

I'm trying to master back carrying in my mei tai. I tried putting hera in it all nice and high today and she liked it, and I liked it, and while it was more comfy than how I was doing it before, it still hurts. So I'm considering getting a ssc. All the pics I've ever seen of someone back carrying with an ssc, though, are not high like I've seen with the MTs and wraps. Is there an ssc that carries babe high?

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:33 AM
You're right about that! I always see babies up much higher in wraps but I'm not sure about the mei tai.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:55 AM

no idea. i can wear a 6 month old in a back carry mei tai no problem. but a toddler..heck no! he has to be in front or my neck and shoulder are aching. the babies i've seen in ssc were all lower, but they still had plenty of support and seemed comfy.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:14 AM
How do you wear a tot in front?! My 9 mo old's head is smack in front of mine when I wear her in front! I can't see, shop, eat, turn my head, or sneeze with her in front already!

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

no idea. i can wear a 6 month old in a back carry mei tai no problem. but a toddler..heck no! he has to be in front or my neck and shoulder are aching. the babies i've seen in ssc were all lower, but they still had plenty of support and seemed comfy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Here's a pic. She's only 9 months yet. It pulls on my shoulders, as if I were wearing a bullet proof backpack with a ton of bricks in it, but it only hurts it doesn't actually feel heavy.

(Please excuse our sickly looks. We're both sick.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:29 AM

lol. it can be a bit tricky. i manage to shop fairly well, but can't do much else. of course you usually don't need to eat while wearing a toddler. my ds is only 35 inches tall though so it's not like he's a big kid.

Quoting jellyphish:

How do you wear a tot in front?! My 9 mo old's head is smack in front of mine when I wear her in front! I can't see, shop, eat, turn my head, or sneeze with her in front already!

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Bump
MrsKish
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

okay i have sloping shoulders  and cant normally wear with out making a chest belt. you need  more even support on the shoulders and upper back . link mt crossed straps in front . OR *  tie the bottom  straps under you bust line. pull the top strap as high and tight as you can comfortably. take the strap  cross them and take them back in the same direction  (it should look like they just hooked together ) un like fully crossing them in the front. tie off like you normally would. you can also use a slingring if you have one. pm if you have any problems.

Quoting jellyphish:

Here's a pic. She's only 9 months yet. It pulls on my shoulders, as if I were wearing a bullet proof backpack with a ton of bricks in it, but it only hurts it doesn't actually feel heavy.

(Please excuse our sickly looks. We're both sick.)

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I can't do a back carry with the mt. It hurts so much. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)