Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Second home birth...

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM
  • 18 Replies
7 moms liked this

I apologize I haven't been active in this group for some time...

I was asked to share my recent birth story and I'm just getting around to it. lol

(Things have been hectic with a 4 year old, 19 month old and the newborn.)

As it has gone for all my pregnancies I had pre-labor for weeks. What set this pregnancy apart (my 3rd) was the fact my pre-labor was accompanied with bloody show (for well over two weeks). 

At 39 weeks & After having contractions 3-4 minutes apart (TMI and crapping my brains out) for five hours... labor just stopped. So we decided at my next appointment to check dilation. I was about 2 1/2cm and 60% effaced. The water bag was bulging and my midwife was hopeful that I could rupture it by dancing, bouncing or having sex. 

I did all the above and would get strong/painful contractions but they would end after so long. One day from my EDD we came to the conclusion that the bulging sac was preventing dilation. 

I had a very small glass of wine to relax me (suggested by my midwife and it's the first time I've ever had a drink while pregnant ah!) Contractions started and we decided to rupture the sac. 

I put a pad on and sat on my exercise ball and gently rotated my hips threw the contractions. I got a strong contraction and my water started flooding everywhere! lol I ran to the kitchen and put a depend on! 

Contractions got harder and went to my room where I leaned on my bed and rocked on my ball threw the contractions.

Everyone was rushing to get the birthing tub ready. Shortly after getting in the tub transition started. My husband got in the tub with me and everything got very intense. 

I was calm and this being my second home-water-birth... I felt strong and assured. Truly at peace with my body and my God strengthening me in this natural process. 

I pulled on a towel with each contraction, stretching it with all my strength. I hummed threw each powerful wave of pain. I felt my body urging me to push but I just didn't feel ready. As my body nudged me to bare down I resisted... I didn't want him to come "too fast".

Eventually I could no longer resist and his head was out in two contractions. I took a deep breath and with one long push I reached down and lifted my baby to my chest.

He was 8.9 pounds & 22inches

The most painful part? Birthing the placenta!

I've had one horror hospital birth and now two beautiful home-births! :-)

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annelauer
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing your story.  Home births are the best!  And congratulations!

MrsKish
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

congratulations 

littlelambe2
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your story! Could you recount how you birthed your placenta?

One-n-Counting
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting littlelambe2:

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your story! Could you recount how you birthed your placenta?

I tried laboring the placenta in the birthing tub but I was in so much pain my midwife wanted me to try laying on my bed. I tried my side and used a heating pad on my back. I took some arnica but after ...I want to say 40ish  minutes I pushed as hard as I could to try to get it out. It didn't want to come out (or so it seemed). It took awhile and I would have said yes to pain killers for the placentas birth. lol

Not sure if it will gross you out I have the coolest picture...the amniotic sac was attached to the membranes still:

(I can't really share it with anyone but other birth junkies)

_deleted picture_

MrsKish
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM

gonna make some plecenta pills?

Quoting One-n-Counting:

Quoting littlelambe2:

I tried laboring the placenta in the birthing tub but I was in so much pain my midwife wanted me to try laying on my bed. I tried my side and used a heating pad on my back. I took some arnica but after ...I want to say 40ish  minutes I pushed as hard as I could to try to get it out. It didn't want to come out (or so it seemed). It took awhile and I would have said yes to pain killers for the placentas birth. lol

Not sure if it will gross you out I have the coolest picture...the amniotic sac was attached to the membranes still:

One-n-Counting
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I sure did! :-) I get so emotional when I forget to take them! 

Quoting MrsKish:

gonna make some plecenta pills?

Quoting One-n-Counting:

Quoting littlelambe2:

littlelambe2
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting One-n-Counting:

Quoting littlelambe2:

Thank you for sharing! Most birth stories stop after second stage so there's a lack of info about an active natural third stage :)

themissheather
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this
This is amazing! Thank you for sharing. As a fellow "birth junkie" and aspiring midwife I think this is beautiful!!!

Can I steal the term birth junkie? It's so great and I want to share it with my midwife.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
One-n-Counting
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I actually stole the term  birth junkie myself! LOL I have a board on pinterest I collect home birth info on... a blog I found had the term "birth junkie". :-)

Quoting themissheather:

This is amazing! Thank you for sharing. As a fellow "birth junkie" and aspiring midwife I think this is beautiful!!!

Can I steal the term birth junkie? It's so great and I want to share it with my midwife.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Thanks for sharing your story! Congratulations!

What a thick and healthy placenta! Love the pics :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)