Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Guess I am not so great at this natural thing

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 77 Replies

I have been told because I plan to medicate my son for ADHD after trying tons of things natural I am not a natural parent.  My son is 5, he has had SERIOUS issues progressively getting worse since he turned 4.  Now its ruining his education.  NO diet, modification, herb has helped, things only get worse.  Our plan to to give very mild meds and get him into therapy...as of now therapy will do nothing because he can not calm down enough to comprehend what they are trying to teach him.  He told me that he hates going to school because he cant stay calm enough to not get yelled at.  He said that he cant make anyone happy because his brain is crazy inside.  He KNOWS there something going on that basically make his thoughts speed around and unable to focus.  He has severe anxiety now and cries at the drop of a hat.  My sweet loving boy is tortured everyday by not being able to please the people he respects.  I think if a bit of meds slow things down just enough for him to learn self control techniques and calming techniques then I can take him off the meds...I HATE meds, I dont even like to give antibiotics without trying other things.

This is my boy I was the first to EBF, first to make my own solids, first to babywear....I feel like I am letting him down NOT to help him in any way I can.

Anyone else think mediaction can be ok for ADHD?

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katiesing
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Hey i don't know about any natural stuff for ADHD but sounds like you tried everything you could. As much as I try to be natural god gave us medicine for a reason sometimes. Just remember your his mom and don't let what people say get you down because you no best.
Terpsichore
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM
5 moms liked this

My 2 cents: we live in a culture where many people turn to meds first for an answer, when more natural changes would work more effectively: diet change, exercise, more/better sleep, therapy, etc. But sometimes natural changes are not fully effective. That's when I think, "thank goodness for medical science and technology. That's what's it's there for." For an asthmatic to have a rescue inhaler that's barely used, for a woman who's been in labor for too long to have pitocin, for someone with depression to have some meds when diet, exercise, therapy, and all that just wasn't enough.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM
My sister was almost put on med for ADHD. Cutting out all sugar and processed foods worked for her. It sounds like you've tried everything else. Do what comes natural, try your best to help your son. It doesn't matter whether meds fit into the natural box. My cousin had been on meds for ADHD for about ten years when he stopped. That was about four years ago. He just went into the marines
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM
7 moms liked this
Well, I guess it's a good thing you feel it's more important to be a good MOTHER than a good natural extremist! Your son will only benefit immensely from the fact that you prioritize him over meeting the standards of a meaningless label.
Western medicine has its place, that's a truth people don't seem to understand us nut bag hippies can accept. It can get irritating.

Anyway, have you tried a heavy metal detox? (just to throw out a suggestion, not to feed into the 'you're wrong to medicate' chaos.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Yeah we cut sugar, carbs, processed foods over xmas break and he went WILD, we are told its a detox and can take up to 6 months BUT he will be placed in a behavior class before that with violent kids because he is too talkative and active...not violent at all.  We need to get a grip on it NOW and slowly find if diet works..SIGH Glad to hear success stories

Quoting polkaspots:

My sister was almost put on med for ADHD. Cutting out all sugar and processed foods worked for her. It sounds like you've tried everything else. Do what comes natural, try your best to help your son. It doesn't matter whether meds fit into the natural box. My cousin had been on meds for ADHD for about ten years when he stopped. That was about four years ago. He just went into the marines

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jellyphish:

Well, I guess it's a good thing you feel it's more important to be a good MOTHER than a good natural extremist! Your son will only benefit immensely from the fact that you prioritize him over meeting the standards of a meaningless label.
Western medicine has its place, that's a truth people don't seem to understand us nut bag hippies can accept. It can get irritating.

Anyway, have you tried a heavy metal detox? (just to throw out a suggestion, not to feed into the 'you're wrong to medicate' chaos.)

Havent done a heavy metal detox yet, but willing to try.  We see the ped tomorrow about meds.

Magnolia7
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM

After a year as a school nurse, I have to say I'm pretty jaded about ADHD meds.  When talking to those parents, that's all they try, though.  Every little thing requires a pill and the parents just put all of their eggs into that one basket. Then when that pill causes side effects they add another pill to deal with those and you end up with small children on multiple meds with no structure at home. 

Obviously you have tried many methods and are at the end of your rope.  I would definitely encourage you to keep a good diet and work on those behavioral methods at home.  Even though five year old boys are pretty active, exercise helps a huge amount.  Our son has some focus issues and taking a running/jumping jack break helps, as do the tae kwon do classes. 

If he needs more serious help, then do what you feel is going to help him the most.  If you aren't comfortable with the current plan, seek a second opinion.  You are obviously taking a holistic approach and looking at all of your options, not just throwing meds at a problem.  And if someone doesn't like your plan, it really doesn't matter.  None of us are going to meet the standards of others - but i bet if you looked at the life and choices of whoever is making those comments there would be something you could fault them on, too.

tansyflower
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM

my sister is a teacher and she says that it breaks her heart to see children with severe adhd not be medicated.  they are constantly frustrated because they CANT focus on anything.  it makes school so much harder and they spend more time in tears than they do learning anything.  it is so unfair to the child and its hard for teachers to do their job since they cant teach a child that is uncapable of focusing.

my sister had adhd and was never medicated.  my mom thought it was horrible to medicate your children and so she struggled all through school.  she always felt like she was dumb and it gave her low self esteem.  at 25 years old it still affects her life so greatly that every single day is a struggle for her.  she has to try 10 times harder just to be able to follow a normal routine, and even then most of the time she fails.  she finally broke down and is now getting the testing done to get on medication.  i personally am so proud of her for taking that step and i am hoping it will help her do all the things she has never been able to do, like go to college and get a good job.  and most importantly to be a petter parent to her children.

dont beat yourself up tabi.  if this is what is best for your baby then get him help.  the difference will be night and day and he will be so much happier!

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I would suggest a heavy metal detox too. I'm not as experienced as some, but I've done bentonite with my husband a couple of times now. I give my dd baths in it because she's still pretty young. It's pretty cool stuff.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting jellyphish:

Havent done a heavy metal detox yet, but willing to try.  We see the ped tomorrow about meds.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LondonsMomma84
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I think doing a GFCF diet could also benefit immensely. But using meds in the meantime while you cut gluten and casein sounds like the best.

someyimes meds are needed. Sometimes kids are sick. It's no one's business but yours what you do.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Yeah we cut sugar, carbs, processed foods over xmas break and he went WILD, we are told its a detox and can take up to 6 months BUT he will be placed in a behavior class before that with violent kids because he is too talkative and active...not violent at all.  We need to get a grip on it NOW and slowly find if diet works..SIGH Glad to hear success stories

Quoting polkaspots:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)