Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you do Tamiflu....under these circumstances?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 25 Replies

My children both have the flu, 6 yr old son getting better but it was a doozey! 4 yr old daughter (has auto immune disease) was 104 last night brought her in to pedi, another flu case. They (along with her immunologist) want her on Tami-flu. I also have a prescription for Tami-flu and they want my 5 mo on tamiflu (for the baby and myself it would be prevention?? does it even do that?) My husband thinks Tami-flu is a crock - that the cons far outweigh the pros. I tend to agree, we vaccinate on OUR schedule and are very careful about which vaccines and meds we do. That being said, i am TERRIFIED about getting the flu because I couldn't take care of my little ones, and my 4 yo will have a tough time fighting this due to her condition. But, I don't believe the Tami-flu will help - it is said to "maybe" lesson severity, and "maybe" shorten duration by a day or two. So, should I take it? Should I give it to my EBF 5 month old??????!!!! My 4yo??????/

*******I did NOT take the Tamiflu, nor did I give it to my children. And So so so glad we didn't. Our bodies were made to heal naturally!!!!! So glad I just helped their little bodies do what they do best. I did tylenol and Motrin for fever and pain, essential oils for congestion, humidifiers, chicken soup and lots of fluids. I did Elderberry syrup for or all of us, fish oil, prenatals and vitamin D for me. By the grace of God, baby and I are fine! Hubby however went down, but he doesn't work as hard to stay healthy as I do! Thank you all for your help and support!
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tansyflower
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

i have no experience with tamiflu but here is a bump for you mama!

imtheonlysane1
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I have heard of it being used as prevention but we have never used it. My oldest son has T1 so all I really know about it is that it made another childs sugar go out of control while they were on it (somebody in my T1 group). Here is another bump in case somebody else knows.

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I wouldn't give it to my baby or myself if you are not sick.That being said a couple years ago I got the flu and after passing out several times and  105.8 temp SO and my mom took me to the Dr(I hate going to the Dr)! I got tamiflu and i was 50% better the next day,and i was fine two days after that.I would not take it as a preventative though and i wasn't really 100% conscious at the time I was taking it but it was that or the hospital so I chose the lesser of two evils. 

bellaamore
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

If your baby nurses, i wouldnt.

I would dri only water starting now. Take 1000 mg of vitamin c starting now. Eat dried parsley in everything, along with garlic and onions. You need to noost your own immunity. If you do come into contact with it, dooing this will lessen the severity. Dont eat sugar at all.

Your baby will get immunities from it from you,

As for your daughter, that is your choice. However, if it were me, id pump her full of vitamin c, stop her sugar intake, and perhaps give her pumped milk, mixed half and half with cold cows milk. This will help her regarding whatever strain of the flu she came in contact with.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Quoting tansyflower:

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Quoting tansyflower:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMammaof2
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I personally wouldn't use it but especially not as a preventative measure. The side effects are not worth it IMO. It is not meant to prevent the flu at all. It is only intended to lessen the symptoms of the flu and only if taken within 24-48 hours of getting the flu.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM

This

Quoting BlessedMammaof2:

I personally wouldn't use it but especially not as a preventative measure. The side effects are not worth it IMO. It is not meant to prevent the flu at all. It is only intended to lessen the symptoms of the flu and only if taken within 24-48 hours of getting the flu.

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
BridgetMc
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM
I took it along with my husband and six year old as a preventative measure. My ten month old came down with the flu and we treated her as best we could but my six year old had just gotten out of the hospital the day before with pneumonia and I was willing to do everything possible to keep her from getting the flu on top of pneumonia and ending up hospitalized again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)