Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I would love to hear advice on laboring at home

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM
  • 57 Replies
This is my first baby. I am due april 5. I want to labor for the most part at home. Tell me about your experience. Thank you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tansyflower
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM

well i did all my laboring at home because i had a homebirth lol :)

that being said i just kept myself busy and active....lots of walking, sqauting and stairs.  i also rested when i could and relaxed in my bathrub which felt great.  you can have music you like playing, and some good quick food available to munch on.  if you are going to the hospital and want the least amount of opportunities to have interventions then stay home until your contractions are 1-3 minutes apart!  its really easy to go to labor and delivery too soon and then it can cause issues with failure to progress, pitocin and getting an epidural too early or feeling pressured to do one at all.  the best part of laboring at home is you give yourself the free space to move around, drink and eat without the restrictions of iv's and hospital policies.

hope that info helps some :)

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I labored mostly at home. I had no Braxton hicks (at least that I felt) so when the contractions started I knew it was the real thing. They were mild starting around 9 am on Jan 19th 2012. I had a midwife appt that day and decided to let her check me. I was 4 to 5 cm so she said I was likely in early labor so she (or the midwife on call from the practice) would see me later.

We went shopping, ate panda express, and I had a piece of pie (last thing I ate haha) then we tried to go to bed at like 9 because my bf had work the next day. I could not get comfy for the life of me so I bounced on my exercise ball some and just paced all over the house. Wish I could have gone for a walk outside but 10pm in the middle of Jan is not a great time for outdoor walks.

I went back and forth from bed to pacing. Mostly pacing because holding still hurt too much at around 11 contractions were 2 min apart but I didn't go in because I didn't feel like it was time yet. Contractions spread out a little so I was glad I stayed home. Finally at 1 or 1:30am they were 2 min apart again and I called the birth center and went on in. We got there close to 2 I think. They checked me and monitored me for a bit before they let me be free again. I was 6 cm and I resumed my pacing, sat in the tub a bit (that wasn't helpful though because it was too shallow and I needed to keep moving) then my water broke at 6:20am on Jan 20th.

I finally got in bed close to 7am because I was so tired (had been up 24 hours and had been pacing most of the last 12 hours). My body pushed on its own as I laid on my side and my very first baby was born at 7:48am.

I can't believe she is almost a year old! I love reliving that day.

I think laboring at home is amazing and I am determined to have my next birth at home.

Congrats to you and here's to hoping for the birth that you want and a healthy baby!
Corina1987
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM
That info does help. Thank you for sharing! I wish I could birth at home but my family has made me paranoid since they have had troubled births. I definitely dislike how hospitals pressure you and make so many restrictions that you feel umcomfortable. What do you do at home once the baby is born? Do you have to take the infant straight to the hospital to be evaluated?

Quoting tansyflower:

that being said i just kept myself busy and active....lots of walking, sqauting and stairs.  i also rested when i could and relaxed in my bathrub which felt great.  you can have music you like playing, and some good quick food available to munch on.  if you are going to the hospital and want the least amount of opportunities to have interventions then stay home until your contractions are 1-3 minutes apart!  its really easy to go to labor and delivery too soon and then it can cause issues with failure to progress, pitocin and getting an epidural too early or feeling pressured to do one at all.  the best part of laboring at home is you give yourself the free space to move around, drink and eat without the restrictions of iv's and hospital policies.

Corina1987
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
That info does help. Thank you for sharing! I wish I could birth at home but my family has made me paranoid since they have had troubled births. I definitely dislike how hospitals pressure you and make so many restrictions that you feel umcomfortable. What do you do at home once the baby is born? Do you have to take the infant straight to the hospital to be evaluated?

Quoting tansyflower:

tansyflower
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM

nope!  the midwife did all the vitals/bloodwork/weights/measurments right at home.  she also did his 6 week check up :)

as for what we did after the baby was born we pretty much just relaxed, ate a nice meal and soaked in our little ones, curled up together and went to sleep.  it was very peaceful afterwards both times!

i know home births are not for everyone but for our family it was a great choice :)

Quoting Corina1987:

Quoting tansyflower:

Corina1987
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Thanks for sharing! It seemed like you had a long labor. Thats so nice you got to do it on your own terms. A hospital would have restricted you to a bed. I wish I could be able to tell how dilated I am at home but I dont have a midwife.Thank you for your well wishes!

Quoting MissSarah04:

I labored mostly at home. I had no Braxton hicks (at least that I felt) so when the contractions started I knew it was the real thing. They were mild starting around 9 am on Jan 19th 2012. I had a midwife appt that day and decided to let her check me. I was 4 to 5 cm so she said I was likely in early labor so she (or the midwife on call from the practice) would see me later.

We went shopping, ate panda express, and I had a piece of pie (last thing I ate haha) then we tried to go to bed at like 9 because my bf had work the next day. I could not get comfy for the life of me so I bounced on my exercise ball some and just paced all over the house. Wish I could have gone for a walk outside but 10pm in the middle of Jan is not a great time for outdoor walks.

I went back and forth from bed to pacing. Mostly pacing because holding still hurt too much at around 11 contractions were 2 min apart but I didn't go in because I didn't feel like it was time yet. Contractions spread out a little so I was glad I stayed home. Finally at 1 or 1:30am they were 2 min apart again and I called the birth center and went on in. We got there close to 2 I think. They checked me and monitored me for a bit before they let me be free again. I was 6 cm and I resumed my pacing, sat in the tub a bit (that wasn't helpful though because it was too shallow and I needed to keep moving) then my water broke at 6:20am on Jan 20th.

I finally got in bed close to 7am because I was so tired (had been up 24 hours and had been pacing most of the last 12 hours). My body pushed on its own as I laid on my side and my very first baby was born at 7:48am.

I can't believe she is almost a year old! I love reliving that day.

I think laboring at home is amazing and I am determined to have my next birth at home.

Congrats to you and here's to hoping for the birth that you want and a healthy baby!

Corina1987
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:26 PM
That sounds perfect. Im not looking forward to spending days in a hospital after giving birth. I didnt know a midwife did all those things.

Quoting tansyflower:

nope!  the midwife did all the vitals/bloodwork/weights/measurments right at home.  she also did his 6 week check up :)

as for what we did after the baby was born we pretty much just relaxed, ate a nice meal and soaked in our little ones, curled up together and went to sleep.  it was very peaceful afterwards both times!

i know home births are not for everyone but for our family it was a great choice :)

Quoting Corina1987:

Quoting tansyflower:

mrsquigley24
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I would suggest hiring a doula to help with your laboring while you're at home. She might also be able to help ascess what stage of labor you're in/ how dilated you are. I'm pregnant with my first child now, and I plan to labor at home for as long as possible. I'm hoping to basically get to the hospital ready to push. 

This link lists several of the signs of stages of labor, I found it interesting and think that it'll be helpful when I'm in labor.

http://wonderfullymadebelliesandbabies.blogspot.com/2011/07/dilation-how-to-check-without-checking.html

Good luck!

madisonsmom2005
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I didn't get a chance to labor at home with my DD since I was induced at the hospital. I am having a home birth with my next baby. Sorry I can't help you out, but here is a bump and good luck to you!

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                                                                                              I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!

Pregnancy%20ticker
doulala
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM

What do you mean by troubled births?
  Have you been learning how to prevent-avoid complications (whether you delivered at home or elsewhere)?
Do you have a doula?    Have you been preparing, taking classes, reading, etc?      What about using a birth center instead?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)