Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I would love to hear advice on laboring at home

Posted by   + Show Post
This is my first baby. I am due april 5. I want to labor for the most part at home. Tell me about your experience. Thank you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Replies (31-40):
Acarroll21
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Yes, I had Braxton Hicks on and off from about 34 Weeks on but they were never in a consistent pattern until 37 Weeks. And even after that, I didnt have DD until 39w1d. So you can have BH for a while. For me the beginning of real labor did feel like false labor, it just never let down. I think thats why I was in denial, because I had been feeling them for a while.

Quoting Corina1987:

I dont mind the length. Thats very interesting. I will be 30 weeks on fri and i had braxton hicks for 7 hours this sat. It was that painful pulling feeling like you had in real labor. I was afraid it was real labor but it stopped. I was wondering if real labor felt like false labor. I will most likely be in denial when the real one comes too.have to get a yoga ball.

Quoting Acarroll21:

No problem! Yeah, it was long now that I think about it lol. It felt quick at the time. I was in denial for the first day because I had been having Braxton Hicks the whole week before. The only difference was that my contractions in early labor were more uncomfortable. They didnt hurt, but it was like a wave where my entire stomach would tighten & pull on my back muscles, if that makes any sense. I remember walking in Walmart with DH & I got the first contraction that made me ”stop” and breathe through it. Every contraction after that I would just stop where I was, put my arms around DHs neck, and just sway back & forth until it ended. And then we would continue shopping. That was about 6-7pm. By 11 pm the contractions had gotten stronger. Same feeling of tightening, but more painful. Kind of like I was flexing all of my abdominal muscles with a stomach ache. At that point I went from my yoga ball to on my hands & knees, and swayed my hips side to side through each contraction. Then they became even stronger (2am) so I got in the shower and sprayed warm water on my tummy through each contraction (I would recommend a tub). I kept rotating depending on what my body wanted to do. Sorry for the length lol

Quoting Corina1987:

I appreciate your openess to give advice. Thank you. I'm planning on doing the same. I never knew much about doulas until now and they sound great but I think my partner and I can do it on our own unless there's a complication this time around. That was a very long labor. How did you know when it started? Where do you feel the pain first and how did it change for you?

Quoting Acarroll21:

I labored at home:) When I got to the hospital I was a 7 & DD was born 2 hrs later. No doula, just the support from DH, my yoga ball & the shower. My entire labor was 33 hrs, 12 hrs of true labor 4-10cm. My advice would be to keep moving. Concentrate through contractions & listen to your body! Ask me anything

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Magnolia7
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM

My mother had pre-eclampsia, my sister had BP and other issues at the end of her pregnancy and ended up with a c/s.  I had a ten pound baby via vaginal birth without any blood pressure issues.

Dr. visits will monitor for signs of a problem, but won't help to prevent.  You can do a lot with nutrition, especially when it comes to blood pressure.  Look up the "Brewer diet," sounds like it's right up your alley.

Quoting Corina1987:

My mom had blood pressue problems and my sis had preeclampsia. I dont think theres much I can do to stop that from happening to me besides doctor visits. I dont have a doula. I have a regular obgyn I see.I have been reading and doing alot of research. I never knew there were birth centers so I havent looked into it.

Quoting doulala:

What do you mean by troubled births?
  Have you been learning how to prevent-avoid complications (whether you delivered at home or elsewhere)?
Do you have a doula?    Have you been preparing, taking classes, reading, etc?      What about using a birth center instead?

Corina1987
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Thank you for sharing. I would like to hear the full birth stories. When I was having painful false labor this weekend all I felt like doing was resting too. I didnt feel like doing my yoga stretches so much lol. I guess we just have to do what feels right for us. Its good that you made it to the hospital on time. Im glad my hospital is close by just in case I wait too long.

Quoting littlelambe2:

First baby: I was put on bed rest overnight due to high blood pressure at my 41w1d appt. When labor started at 5pm, I was in denial and didn't want to move just in case it wasn't the real deal or labor stopped, because I had a bp check in the morning. I just sat around gabbing with my mom until dh came home. Then, we all went upstairs and watched a movie. After 5.5 hrs of early labor, we left for the hospital once I lost my mucus plug and my ctx were 3 mins apart. I had a snack of a pb sandwich and milk before we left. I had my first VE upon admittance and was found to be at a 5. I had my baby girl naturally 4 hrs after being admitted. 

Second: labor started with ctx 10 mins apart at 9pm. I was 9 days past due already so dh, dd, and I went on a 2 mile stroll. Came home, ctx still 7-10 mins apart. Called the doula and let her know what was happening. She came to the house about 3 hrs after my first ctx. We just sat and gabbed (haha. I'm so active in early labor - not!) for a couple hrs, then I took a shower (for bathing purposes, not to relax) and laid down, as I hadn't had much sleep in the last 24 hrs. At around 3:30 am, I woke up dh and the doula and we headed into the hospital. My ctx were still only 7-10 mins apart, but they were stronger and I was feeling giddy and shaky. I was second guessing myself about heading in, but the hospital was 45 mins away. At the hospital, my first and only VE showed I was at a 5/6 but my posterior baby was not engaged, which was the reason for the spacey ctx. Labored at the hospital for about 3 hrs with ctx only 5-10 mins apart. Baby turned, engaged, and she was born 40 mins later. I was glad I didn't wait for my ctx to get closer together before heading it or we would have had a freeway baby.

i know people say to be active during early labor, but for me, resting was best. Make sure to keep fueled and hydrated though :) both times on the ride in, I was unable to talk through ctx. Feeling giddy and shaky and a little stupid let me know that active labor was right around the corner. Know that if you aren't as far along as you want to be, you don't have to stay. If you want to read my full birth stories, I'd be happy to share :)

Corina1987
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Im glad you had a healthy birth. Thanks for the information. I will look up that diet .

Quoting Magnolia7:

My mother had pre-eclampsia, my sister had BP and other issues at the end of her pregnancy and ended up with a c/s.  I had a ten pound baby via vaginal birth without any blood pressure issues.

Dr. visits will monitor for signs of a problem, but won't help to prevent.  You can do a lot with nutrition, especially when it comes to blood pressure.  Look up the "Brewer diet," sounds like it's right up your alley.

Quoting Corina1987:

My mom had blood pressue problems and my sis had preeclampsia. I dont think theres much I can do to stop that from happening to me besides doctor visits. I dont have a doula. I have a regular obgyn I see.I have been reading and doing alot of research. I never knew there were birth centers so I havent looked into it.

Quoting doulala:

What do you mean by troubled births?
  Have you been learning how to prevent-avoid complications (whether you delivered at home or elsewhere)?
Do you have a doula?    Have you been preparing, taking classes, reading, etc?      What about using a birth center instead?

Corina1987
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:33 PM
When did your water break? Was that how you knew you were definetly in labor?

Quoting Acarroll21:

Yes, I had Braxton Hicks on and off from about 34 Weeks on but they were never in a consistent pattern until 37 Weeks. And even after that, I didnt have DD until 39w1d. So you can have BH for a while. For me the beginning of real labor did feel like false labor, it just never let down. I think thats why I was in denial, because I had been feeling them for a while.

Quoting Corina1987:

I dont mind the length. Thats very interesting. I will be 30 weeks on fri and i had braxton hicks for 7 hours this sat. It was that painful pulling feeling like you had in real labor. I was afraid it was real labor but it stopped. I was wondering if real labor felt like false labor. I will most likely be in denial when the real one comes too.have to get a yoga ball.

Quoting Acarroll21:

No problem! Yeah, it was long now that I think about it lol. It felt quick at the time. I was in denial for the first day because I had been having Braxton Hicks the whole week before. The only difference was that my contractions in early labor were more uncomfortable. They didnt hurt, but it was like a wave where my entire stomach would tighten & pull on my back muscles, if that makes any sense. I remember walking in Walmart with DH & I got the first contraction that made me ”stop” and breathe through it. Every contraction after that I would just stop where I was, put my arms around DHs neck, and just sway back & forth until it ended. And then we would continue shopping. That was about 6-7pm. By 11 pm the contractions had gotten stronger. Same feeling of tightening, but more painful. Kind of like I was flexing all of my abdominal muscles with a stomach ache. At that point I went from my yoga ball to on my hands & knees, and swayed my hips side to side through each contraction. Then they became even stronger (2am) so I got in the shower and sprayed warm water on my tummy through each contraction (I would recommend a tub). I kept rotating depending on what my body wanted to do. Sorry for the length lol

Quoting Corina1987:

I appreciate your openess to give advice. Thank you. I'm planning on doing the same. I never knew much about doulas until now and they sound great but I think my partner and I can do it on our own unless there's a complication this time around. That was a very long labor. How did you know when it started? Where do you feel the pain first and how did it change for you?

Quoting Acarroll21:

I labored at home:) When I got to the hospital I was a 7 & DD was born 2 hrs later. No doula, just the support from DH, my yoga ball & the shower. My entire labor was 33 hrs, 12 hrs of true labor 4-10cm. My advice would be to keep moving. Concentrate through contractions & listen to your body! Ask me anything

Corina1987
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Thank you for sharing.I will let them know my demands upfront. Ive been hearing it often that it isnt good to have too many vaginal exams during labor.Why is this a risky practice? I thought the doctor had clean gloves on,etc.

Quoting littlelambe2:

It's your body, your choice. You can limit cervical checks. With my first, I consented to the VE upon admittance. I requested a VE 3 hrs later because my body felt very different (I was at an 8, just entering into transition). I requested my last VE before I pused because I was afraid I wasn't all the way dialiated because the urge to push came about 45 mins after I was at 8 cm. With my second, I consented to the VE upon admittance, but trusted my body entirely to do what I knew it could do. I did not get another VE. My labor went smoothly and delivery was quick. Make sure your doctor supports the woman's natural ability in childbirth. I didn't get any flak for limiting the vaginal exams. If the healthcare provider knows his/her stuff, they can tell where a women is at in labor without having to do a VE. 

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Corina1987:

Thanks for sharing! It seemed like you had a long labor. Thats so nice you got to do it on your own terms. A hospital would have restricted you to a bed. I wish I could be able to tell how dilated I am at home but I dont have a midwife.Thank you for your well wishes!

Dialation is more important to Medical Professionals, as they use it to show your progress during labor.  And if you're not progressing as fast as they *think* you should, they'll push interventions.

You might go from a 3 to a 10 in 15 minutes, or you might labor for hours at a 4 with no "progress" and then give birth minutes later. 

Knowing your dialiation is not critical for giving birth.  Just listen to your body...

Corina1987
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Thank you! I appreciate it:)

Quoting littlelambe2:

It will if you listen. Best thing you can do is what you are already doing. Research and prepare yourself about labor and birth. Learn all that you can about your body's natural ability in childbirth. Trust your body. You were made for childbirth! Good luck :)

Quoting Corina1987:

Thank you for the information. I guess its easier to try and make labor and birth seem predictable when it isn't. I hope my body gives me information I can intuitively understand at that moment since its my first baby.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Corina1987:

Thanks for sharing! It seemed like you had a long labor. Thats so nice you got to do it on your own terms. A hospital would have restricted you to a bed. I wish I could be able to tell how dilated I am at home but I dont have a midwife.Thank you for your well wishes!

Dialation is more important to Medical Professionals, as they use it to show your progress during labor.  And if you're not progressing as fast as they *think* you should, they'll push interventions.

You might go from a 3 to a 10 in 15 minutes, or you might labor for hours at a 4 with no "progress" and then give birth minutes later. 

Knowing your dialiation is not critical for giving birth.  Just listen to your body...

Corina1987
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Thats ok. Thank you for the advice. This birth Im not using a doula but they sound great. I will look into it for my next birth.

Quoting littlelambe2:

Sorry, I kind of feel like I'm infringing, but I feel like I have info to share that may be helpful for you. With my first, I had high blood pressure at the end of my pregnancy. It always went down if I was on bed rest for a day or two. With the second pregnancy, I was afraid of high blood pressure again, but my doula said that a high protein diet can help regulate blood pressure. I made sure to eat a diet high in protein and I didn't have a single high blood pressure reading. 

If you are going to deliver in a hospital, I would rethink getting a doula. I didn't have a doula the first time around, as my mom was with me. She is very naturally minded and had 4 natural births. With my second, my mom wasn't available so I had a doula. I would hire her again for subsequent births. A doula is more than just emotional and physical support. A doula has a wealth of knowledge about labor and birth that an average person just doesn't have. If there are complications (slow labor, posterior baby, stuck baby, etc), they have the training and knowledge to help your labor move more smoothly. She will support your dreams and decisions in birth. Your doctor will not be in the room the whole time you are in labor. The labor ruses will help most likely medically. And they can't be in the room the entire time either. A doula will be with you throughout labor from the very beginning to support both you and your husband. They do not take the place of your husband. 

Quoting Corina1987:

lactatingloon
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM
I did lots of cat/dog yoga stretches it really helped with the lower back pain and gave me something to focus on. I also rocked in my rocking chair in the nursery a lot, In hinde sight I spent a lot of labor time focusing on fabric patterns or rhythms around me.
Corina1987
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Thanks for sharing. I definetly need to get a rocking chair soon. Thats a good idea to focus on something to get through it.

Quoting lactatingloon:

I did lots of cat/dog yoga stretches it really helped with the lower back pain and gave me something to focus on. I also rocked in my rocking chair in the nursery a lot, In hinde sight I spent a lot of labor time focusing on fabric patterns or rhythms around me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)