Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Anyone done a VBAC after 2 c-sections?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hello there,

My first two babies were born via c-section (the first one was a preemie emergency c-section, and the second was a preemie c-section as a precaution), but my obgyn is willing to let me try a vbac the third time, provided I go into labour on my own and there are no earlier complications.

Does anybody have any experience to share?  I understand that there is a 5% risk of uterine rupture.

Thanks!

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM
The ACOG encourages providers to encourage moms to have the option of a VBAC, even after 2 c sections(depending on the individual circumstances), the risk of uterine rupture is nowhere near 5%, it's actually less than 1%. Since the average risk is under half a percent, you'll hear a lot who disagree with VBACs throw around that "double" the risk statistic to scare people, even though the risk is still very low.

I've never had a c section, but I researched this a lot for my little sister who did have one. I know there are moms in here who have done it. If you've got a willing provider, I definitely wouldn't hesitate to try for it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tisanthem
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I had two csections and was induced for a VBAC. I now know this was not advisable. Needless to say the VBAC was unsuccessful and I began to have a uterine rupture resulting in another csection. They were able to repair the rupture without any problem. I am now pregnant with twins and having complications due to the rupture. I wish you luck in trying for a VBAC but also be careful. Your objective is to have a healthy delivery for both you and lo
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:39 AM

There's a similar thread in the CM VBAC group....  Come over and join us if you haven't already!

And please remember that there is a risk of "uterine rupture" in every pregnancy--not just those of us who VBAC, but even vaginal births and c-sections, too!  And some ruptures are even caused by clumbsy practitioners...  The majority of "ruptures" don't require surgery/stitching and heal just fine on their own.

10 days ago I was induced because of Gestational Hypertentions at 42 weeks 1 day for a VBAC, and we had a wonderfully successful birth.  I know you can do it, too!

doulala
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Why did you have those cesareans?

Usually a vbac is safer than a cesarean, so important to consider!
:-)

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I've done a vbac after 1 c-section but not 2. Still think trying would be better than just surgery.
kspear0120
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a successful VBA2C with a 9.15lb baby just over two years after my first c section. All of my kids are very close in age but I found an ob who was willing to let me try for a VBAC. As far as rupture, another poster already said but there is a risk of rupture whether you have had a c section or not. Talk to your OB and find out his experience with ruptures. I was very much put at ease knowing that my OB had attended on ruptures but he told me that they happend majority of time when his patient didn't listen to him. But the ones that he attened on, no one had a historectomy as a result and no babies died.

Here is my experience: My first son was a scheduled c section at 39 weeks due to him being breeched and over 9lbs. (He was 9.9). My second son was an auto repeat c section due to my boys being close to gether (1 year 2 days apart) and the risk of having another big baby (in my ob's opinion increased rupture rates.. he was my smallest at 8.13lbs).  I believe I could have delivered him safely. He was head down and I was having regular contractions but I didn't go into labor before my scheduled c section at 39 weeks again. When I found out I was expecting my third baby, I asked about a vbac and my OB said that no one did a VBA2C and I didnt believe him. I got online and found a new OB in GA who was a big proponent for VBACs.

The pregnancy was wonderful.. but at 28 weeks we discovered that my daughter was breeched. My ob did an external version (which is what my first OB should have done to avoid a c section in the first place) and she stayed head down until I delivered. I was cautioned against being induced since it usually causes a faster and harder labor which increases rupture rates. I contracted an entire weekend before my due date and they finally regulated the day before i was due in the morning. I went in and I was dialated 4 cm and contractions every 3 mins. I was admitted and had to be put on the monitors (my only complaint). I was allowed to get up and walk around as far as the cords would let me, I could go to the bathroom, I could use the birthing ball, but they did not do water births at that hospital. But not being able to walk as I wanted to, my labor slowed way down. Thankfully my ob let me labor for a full 24 hrs (Baby and I were doing well) before intervention. After 24 hrs he asked if he could break my water (he did) but it did not do anything for my contractions. So he finally did a dose of pitocin but he only does an incredibly low dose (nowhere near what the dose is for a normal induction). It was all I needed. Within like 15 mins I was pushing. I pushed for about 30 mins and she was here! I did have to stop breifly when her head was aout because the doctor was trying to turn her shoulders a bit to help with tearing, but it was a successful delivery. I did have a second degree tear (expected with that big of a baby!) but I had no rupture. I also did not get an epidural but I did have the OB use something called a paracervical block that is like a gel that is just applied to the cervix and it numbs it and took the edge off the contractions so I could push.

I was able to hold and nurse my baby right away. Then after they were done with stiches and all I could get up and go to the bathroom. The baby did end up being in the NICU for the duration of my hospital stay (after we were put in a postpartum room they saw that she was having some difficulty breathing due to meconium). But she came home with me. I was also able to get up and move around easily to go see her in the nicu several times a day. No way I could have done that with my c sections. It was a dream experience. 

Just make sure your doctor is truly vbac friendly and have him tell you about his experiences. Know how long you can labor on yoru own. If you can go past yoru due date, etc. That will let you know if he is truly VBAC friendly or not bc that is what it takes to have a succesful VBAC. Some Obs say they are but when it comes down to baby time, they push a c cesecton. Good luck mama and feel free to message me with any questions. Also check out the vbac group!

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Please join the VBAC moms group if you havent already, there are plenty of stories and advice over there. 

Also the risk is actually less then 1% and that is for the entire time of pregnancy not just labor, there is always a risk with pregnancy of rupert even for first time moms. Best way to have a successful vaginal birth is to go 100% natural when your body and baby wants and not let them pressure you into interventions. Its completely safe to go past your ESTIMATED due date and let your body go into natural labor and then to labor at home for as long as you can to prevent interventions if you go to the hospital to deliver. Also you do not have to have an IV and do not have to have your water broke baby can be born in the sac with it whole and do not let them put you on a time schedule. 

Bridget487
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM

The first C-section was because I felt decreased fetal movement, which turned out to be a massive fetomaternal hemorrhage (meaning that I had drained the baby of 2/3 of his blood).  Thank God he was alright (after a transfusion and 2 weeks in nicu), but the problem is that these fetomaternal transfusions are unexplained and usually result in stillbirths, plus they tend to recur.  This is why I am edgy.

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:01 AM

BUMP for VBACers.. :o) 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

SarineLewis
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:56 AM
Friend of mine had 2 c-sections then a vbac. At home in water! She said it was the best expierence ever!
No personal experience. Just an induction. Hoping to go natural this time!
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)