Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Eczema

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM
  • 30 Replies

I took my son to the pediatrician today and was told he has some mild eczema on his back and chest.  The doctor gave me an rx, but I'd like to try some natural remedies first.  I don't feed DS any processed foods, I try to make sure everything I give him is organic.  All his clothes are cotton and I use a plant-based detergent and no dryer sheets.  He wears cloth diapers and the lotion and baby wash I use on him are Earth Mama and Episencial.  I can't think of any environmental factors that would be causing his eczema.  Even the crib mattress is chemical-free and organic.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina.2006
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Coconut oil is supposed to work wonders for eczema. My ds' eczema is allergy related (some foods like carrot, dairy, and potato) so even organic would cause him issues.

Try cutting all dairy out too as that can also be a culprut.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamalusbear
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Do you just rub the coconut oil on the eczema?

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM

rub coconut oil on his skin(we do this for dd) also I heard that a hazelwood necklace can help.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Does he consume any dairy? Usually eczema is dietary and dairy is the first of the usual suspects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Terpsichore
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I had eczema as both a toddler and as an adult. A few things not yet mentioned that gives me eczema flare-ups: animal dander, dry skin especially in winter, quick changes in temperature, hot water, not putting lotion on after a bath/shower. Everyone with eczema I talk to has a different lotion/shampoo that works for them. Breastmilk is supposed to help with eczema, but it hasn't helped with me. Oddly enough, I've only recently heard of using coconut oil. I'm going to try that.

I also put my laundry on an extra rinse cycle. Leftover detergent on my clothes aggravates the eczema.

skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM

My pedi said that the burts bees multi purpose ointment works wonders on eczema and she uses it on her kids. 

lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

my dd had eczema and my dr told me it was 'normal' yeah right. I discovered she had a dairy and a gluten issue. Thanks dr.... it's usually dietary. Make a food diary and see if you can pinpoint the foods eaten around flare ups.

Jeni2013
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM
I also have eczema my daughter also has a soda too. we use the aveeno products they have always worked for us

Quoting Terpsichore:

I had eczema as both a toddler and as an adult. A few things not yet mentioned that gives me eczema flare-ups: animal dander, dry skin especially in winter, quick changes in temperature, hot water, not putting lotion on after a bath/shower. Everyone with eczema I talk to has a different lotion/shampoo that works for them. Breastmilk is supposed to help with eczema, but it hasn't helped with me. Oddly enough, I've only recently heard of using coconut oil. I'm going to try that.

I also put my laundry on an extra rinse cycle. Leftover detergent on my clothes aggravates the eczema.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amycapl
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM

cut out dairy and use coconut oil.  make sure bath water is not too hot and keep skin hydrated!  i have eczema and these things all helped me :)

Magnolia7
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Just went through this with my little boy!  The prescription that was offered was a steroid which would help the flare but was not curative.  After I looked it up an saw that it caused endocrine disruption in adults and hadn't been tested on peds I didn't even get it filled.

Then the recommended OTC skin care creams were all filled with parabens and other chemicals that we avoid. 

So first I cut out dairy completely because he'd had an issue with it as a toddler and knew it was an irritant (then it was mainly tummy troubles and ear infections but when I think back he always had a little rash when I ate dairy and he nursed).  Also cut down on the processed foods and sweets we had let slip in (not an issue for you). And then back onto a daily probiotic.

For skin care I used coconut oil after baths.  But one day I had some left over cocoa butter  that I'd been using on my stomach and I put it on him.  He loved the smell so we used that for the next couple of days.  He went from an all over flare to just a couple of little spots in that time.  It was just the pure cocoa butter that is solid at room temp and you have to melt down (NOW brand).  It's very soothing, he smells like chocolate, and his skin responded to it so quickly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)