Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I took my son to the pediatrician today and was told he has some mild eczema on his back and chest.  The doctor gave me an rx, but I'd like to try some natural remedies first.  I don't feed DS any processed foods, I try to make sure everything I give him is organic.  All his clothes are cotton and I use a plant-based detergent and no dryer sheets.  He wears cloth diapers and the lotion and baby wash I use on him are Earth Mama and Episencial.  I can't think of any environmental factors that would be causing his eczema.  Even the crib mattress is chemical-free and organic.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Replies (21-30):
corbysmom531
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM

My son had eczema bad when he was a baby/toddler.  We had him food sensitivy and allergy tested, and he was very sensitive to citrus.  Once we cut all that out, his eczema was gone.  He's five now, and he hasn't had a flare up since 18 months.

mommathea
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Do you have pets? My husband is allergic to dogs and dust mites and it causes eczema. While nutritional and chemical allergens are usually looked at first sometimes it can be animals and deist mites 

JWu
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I get eczema flare ups when I am exposed to gluten. I went my whole life with issues and didn't find this connection until a few years ago. Chat with your dr and look into an elimination diet. If it is not gluten related then the loss of nutrients usually associated with gluten products is not usually recommended.

sreichelt26
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM

it can take weeks for it to get out of his system. when my dd's had any (either through bm or directly, and it's way worse if it's directly) her reactions can last anywhere from 1-3 weeks, and it takes at least a week to see any improvement

Quoting mamalusbear:

DS hasn't had dairy for the past 24 hours, and I thought maybe his eczema was getting better with the coconut oil, but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

Quoting sreichelt26:

This. That's what causes my dd's eczema. Coconut oil didn't help her, but Honest Healing Balm does.

Quoting larissalarie:

Does he consume any dairy? Usually eczema is dietary and dairy is the first of the usual suspects.

sreichelt26
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM

yes - their stuff is only available online right now last I checked.

Quoting mamalusbear:

Do you purchase the honest healing balm directly off of the website?

Quoting mamalusbear:

DS hasn't had dairy for the past 24 hours, and I thought maybe his eczema was getting better with the coconut oil, but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

Quoting sreichelt26:

This. That's what causes my dd's eczema. Coconut oil didn't help her, but Honest Healing Balm does.

Quoting larissalarie:

Does he consume any dairy? Usually eczema is dietary and dairy is the first of the usual suspects.

mcarsel89
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Just posted this exact question! lol

mamalusbear
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

The coconut oil is working.....it took 4-5 days, didn't work immediately.  I've just been using whole foods store brand, the same one I cook with, LOL.

Quoting mcarsel89:

Just posted this exact question! lol

lactatingloon
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I've heard that breastmilk is great for the skin, maybe try breastmilk soap?
Terpsichore
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I got some coconut oil from Trader Joe's, it's hard as cold candle wax. How do you use it as a lotion?

mamalusbear
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Once it's on babies skin it will just melt...i grab a small glob and start rubbing it on DS's back and it turns into an oil and absorbs into the skin.

Quoting Terpsichore:

I got some coconut oil from Trader Joe's, it's hard as cold candle wax. How do you use it as a lotion?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN