Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Too Much Milk!!

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:36 AM
  • 20 Replies

My husband and I are TTC and since I am a full time psychology student, I rely heavily on planning ahead for my son and I (especially since I am doing home preschool too). Anyway, last time I made a lot more milk than I needed and would soak an entire thick towel at night. During the day, I had to keep recieving blankets in my sports bra or I would leak and when I fed, I had to hold a towel to my chest or the other one would soak my shirt and son. The regular pads I found at the major stores (walmart, kmart etc) did not work worth a flip to keep me dry. Is there any kind out there that is made for women with excess flow, or something I can do to help reduce?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Can you try "block feeding" to tell your breasts to produce less?  (I had to pump while DS2 was in NICU, and since he's been out we've been trying to regulate my over-supply.  Block feeding has been working great in lessening my supply, so it might work for you, too).

RandiBear
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I'm not even sure what that is. lol I will try anything though. We ended up having to replace our mattress because it caused mildew and mold down in it.

GoodyBrook
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Quoting RandiBear:

I'm not even sure what that is. lol I will try anything though. We ended up having to replace our mattress because it caused mildew and mold down in it.

I  feed DS2 off of only one breast per feeding:  One feeding he gets the right breast and the next meal is from the left.  The other side becomes incredibly engorged, but I've noticed that my supply is indeed lessening in only a few days of doing it this way.  With luck, we'll be on track with the right amount of milk in another day....

(In the NICU, DS would take 2.5 ounces per feeding, but I would produce between 6 and 8 ounces each time I pumped, so I know I'm producing well over double that we need).

BlessedMammaof2
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:36 AM
Did you try cloth nursing pads at all? I like mother-ease cloth nursing pads and Charlie banana. I didn't have leakage that bad but often found that the disposables held less and stuck to and irritated my nipples.

But I agree with PP that it sounds like what you were experiencing was an oversupply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annelauer
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:57 AM
I had that issue with the first. I've talked to a few friends who, like me, didn't have to do anything. Things regulated on their own the second time around. Here's to hoping!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RandiBear
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:59 AM

No, but I didn't have much support for breast feeding anyway. My hubby was supportive but we lived with my inlaws and they made things very difficult. MIL didn't bf and thought it was weird that I was, and made sure everyone knew how weird she thought it was. I also didn't get much help from the hospital's lactation consultants. In order to give me advice, they said I had to come in for an appointment. I told them I didn't need help with the feeding itself, I just needed tips on finding the supplies I needed. I couldn't afford to drive an hour for them to tell me "So and so store sells *insert item* that could help" So since I wouldn't come in, they wouldn't even take my calls. Very annoying but when I reported them they basically said that they can't give advice until they assess what the problem is. lol I was like "I was asking where I could find absorbant breast pads...that's IT" but whatever...policy or some such.

Anyway, I have since heard of cloth breast pads but I didn't know where to find them. My problem is I live in a tiny town with very few local stores and have to drive at least an hour to a bigger town, where stores are still limited. I can order just about anything online though, so long as they have a site for it lol ANY suggestions would be welcome. I want to go ahead and start stocking up on supplies I will be needing (cloth diapers, breast pads, etc)

RandiBear
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:03 AM
1 mom liked this

That's what I have been told, that the second kid they will regulate better on their own. However, I'm preparing for a huge supply again anyways because it has been 3 years and I still produce milk and during the warmer months have to wear pads because I leak if a kid cries anywhere within hearing range. lol

Quoting annelauer:

I had that issue with the first. I've talked to a few friends who, like me, didn't have to do anything. Things regulated on their own the second time around. Here's to hoping!

littlelambe2
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Try block feeding. With my first I had crazy letdown and oversupply. Poor dd would choke. I would alternate breasts every 4 hrs. So from noon to 4, I would offer only the right side; from 4pm till 8pm, I would only offer the left; from 8pm until midnight, I'd only offer the right, etc. My second was 2 lbs heavier than my first and seems to be able to handle the supply/letdown easier and I may not be producing as much milk. I offer only one breast per feeding, alternating sides with each feeding.

cloth breast pads work better for me than the disposables. 

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Go to etsy.com for cloth nursing pads. The disposables stick and they tend to smell bad if you leave them on for more than an hour. I suggest etsy because the pads on there are made by women who have used them themselves. Cloth are also thicker so they absorb a lot more and don't really leak. If you leak a whole lot, you can get ones with PUL backing to keep your clothing dry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RandiBear
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Thank you ladies SOOO much! I really appreciate the tips! I'm cruising over to etsy right now to hunt down the nursing pads! = )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN