Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband and I are TTC and since I am a full time psychology student, I rely heavily on planning ahead for my son and I (especially since I am doing home preschool too). Anyway, last time I made a lot more milk than I needed and would soak an entire thick towel at night. During the day, I had to keep recieving blankets in my sports bra or I would leak and when I fed, I had to hold a towel to my chest or the other one would soak my shirt and son. The regular pads I found at the major stores (walmart, kmart etc) did not work worth a flip to keep me dry. Is there any kind out there that is made for women with excess flow, or something I can do to help reduce?

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Replies (11-20):
maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Have you ever thought about just pumping and maybe donating the extra milk? Its a wonderful thing to do for a mother and baby.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

block feeding is the BEST way to handle it.  PLUS you can buy milkies milk savers and use all that leaking to store milk withhout pumping

RandiBear
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I wanted to but I have asthma and the use of my inhaler makes me not qualified for some reason. Something about the steroids in it or something. It's not harmful to my son, but the hospital here that takes pumped only takes it from perfectly healthy moms. I understand it. I would want my kid getting the best if he couldn't get it from me, too.

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

Have you ever thought about just pumping and maybe donating the extra milk? Its a wonderful thing to do for a mother and baby.

Beth3721
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Thick wash cloths cut up so you can fold them once or twice.  smaller than receiving blankets.  I would think it would be easier to change them and carry them with you.

tansyflower
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM

that only applies if you donate to a hospital or milk bank!  private donation is much easier, check out human milk for human babies or eats on feets on facebook.  great places to find local moms who cant afford the 4-7 dollars an oz that a milk bank charges but still want a better option than formula :)

that being said donation is a lot of work and the extra pumping wont decrease supply.  blockfeeding is the best way to lower your milk supply!

Quoting RandiBear:

I wanted to but I have asthma and the use of my inhaler makes me not qualified for some reason. Something about the steroids in it or something. It's not harmful to my son, but the hospital here that takes pumped only takes it from perfectly healthy moms. I understand it. I would want my kid getting the best if he couldn't get it from me, too.

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

RandiBear
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Thank you so much!! I will keep that in mind!!

Quoting tansyflower:

that only applies if you donate to a hospital or milk bank!  private donation is much easier, check out human milk for human babies or eats on feets on facebook.  great places to find local moms who cant afford the 4-7 dollars an oz that a milk bank charges but still want a better option than formula :)

that being said donation is a lot of work and the extra pumping wont decrease supply.  blockfeeding is the best way to lower your milk supply!

Quoting RandiBear:

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Idk what pads you could use but if you have acsess on one side while feeding on the other you could always collect that milk and freeze it.
mcarsel89
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I didn't have this problem :( I have IGT and only produced max 3 oz a day... anyways (lucky..) I was told to use a hemp/bamboo blend for my overnight inserts because they are super absorbent. Maybe you could order some of those and just cut out big squares and sew them together? I just know the hemp/bamboo blend is supposed to be very absorbent, I would assume that means it would absorb a lot of milk too.

RandiBear
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I didn't even think of that! Thanks for the tip! =)

Quoting mcarsel89:

I didn't have this problem :( I have IGT and only produced max 3 oz a day... anyways (lucky..) I was told to use a hemp/bamboo blend for my overnight inserts because they are super absorbent. Maybe you could order some of those and just cut out big squares and sew them together? I just know the hemp/bamboo blend is supposed to be very absorbent, I would assume that means it would absorb a lot of milk too.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I always used burp clothes folded up. When we went out I doubled up cloth pads and changed them often

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)